The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Around And Around

Stockinette stitch. US size 2 needles. A recipe for madness. Around and around I go, row after row. What in the world possessed me to knit a sock strictly in stockinette stitch? Sure, I was not "sock savvy" but jeepers creepers I could knit cables in my sleep and I can fumble my way through a lace pattern. But no ... I decide to go knit knit knit. Thousands of tiny little knit stitches with not a single yo, k2tog, c3f or ssk in the lot. A project like this ... Well you start to have crazy thoughts. Like ... maybe I should start using crank! Hell, I could fly through this puppy in no time! Or ... what if I only wore this pair of socks with long pants. Would anyone notice that the leg of one sock is 6 3/4 inches and the other 2 inches.

Which is why, when I got home tonight from the weekly meeting of the Silicon Valley Stitchers, I said to myself, "Self, if you don't sit down on the couch and knit something that requires even the tiniest part of your brain, you may never knit again." Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Fiber Trends "Oak Leaf And Acorn Scarf"

Rowan 4-Ply Soft in "Leafy"

Now how clever am I? An oak leaf and acorn scarf knitted in a color called leafy. My originality overwhelms me. All I can say is it's a good thing I've got a decent stock of lace patterns and appropriate yarn on hand. When I first purchased this yarn and got it home I thought, "Bleh, this color is the suck." But then tonight I remembered something a lady who owned a yarn store back home once told me. "There are NO ugly yarns, just ugly interpretations." Or was that something someone in a quilt store told me about fabric? Well regardless. Every yarn can be beautiful if you use it to make the right garment. I'm hoping I've made the right choice for this yarn. We'll see. Because I'm not really crazy about the pattern either.

Ralphie asked me to send a shout out to all the single girls out there in blogland. It's 86 degrees in his little tank right now which means Ralphie's ready to make like Marvin Gaye and get himself a little sexual healing. He's spent the day building bubble nests in his tank and if you look very, very closely you'll see little globs of white around the fake plastic plant. Male bettas, when they get ready to spawn, blow these bubble nests because after the female lays her eggs in the gravel he picks up the eggs and puts them in the nest until they hatch. Ralphie's a little irked with me right now because I moved his tank for a better photographic opportunity. Which sort of busted up the love shack a bit.

So if any of you ladies are free this weekend and would like to meet a nice betta, let me know. Ralphie's waiting.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gotta say, I actually love the color of that yarn. But I *love* green, and I'm okay with the dusty grey-greens and olivey greens too. Though neon? not so much. But I digress. The pattern you've picked out seems perfect for it, can't wait to see how it shapes up!

    Hi Ralphie! Sorry there's no girlfriends in the vicinity...

    -- Yer Pal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home