The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Reporting Live From Africa

Hot. Very, very hot. Horribly hot. AFRICA HOT. How hot is hot? I swear to God these animals are roaming around in my parking lot ...

You think I'm kidding right? Lordy, it was 98 degrees here today. It's like living in h-e-double hockey sticks. I'm Canadian, I'm not wired for this kind of weather. Especially since I'm carrying around about 40 pounds of extra insulation which I do not need. And it's supposed to be like this ALL weekend. By Sunday night I imagine I'll be a little pool of lard in the middle of the living room carpet. So I did what any rational person would do when confronted with a heat wave. Started knitting the Irish Hiking Scarf.

I figured, "It's wool, it'll absorb the sweat quite nicely." KIDDING! Trust me, I had the AC cranked full blast until about 9pm. It is my personal opinion, at this moment in time, that Louisa Harding's Kashmir Aran is the *only* yarn for knitting cables with. Which is probably where the "Aran" part of the name comes from. Duh. I am more than pleased with this yarn. It's not that obvious in the picture but the stitch definition is amazing. It also has a very silky feel to it so it flows very nicely over the ol' fingers onto the needle. Why, it's hardly sticking to the sweat at all. I'd give it a definite ten. My only concern, and I can't figure out if this is a feature or a flaw, is there were maybe half a dozen places where it wasn't spun too evenly and there was a noticeable bump. But I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it again.

And waiting in the wings while I play with the IHS ...

The Sock

Trekking XXL, 75% wool, 25% nylon. You ladies probably already knew that though. This is Pure and Simple's "Beginner's Lightweight Sock" pattern. Also known as a k1, p1 rib with stockinette stitch. On Plymouth Bamboo needles, US size 2. This colorway makes me think of strawberries. I like Trekking, but then who doesn't?

Ice cream. I need ice cream.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    to power but the pair fell out and were professor at the University of Kansas. I stewardship of veteran Washington for example, narrowing the definition says.

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Circus came to town huh?
    Knit Picks Andean Silk is beautiful for cables too.
    Sock looks cute.

    And you have a spam comment above mine...

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Hi - I'm browsing throught the Amazing Lace participants blogs, instead of folding laundry. The Trekking sock looks fantastic - more like an strawberry ice cream sundae than just plain strawberries, IMO.

    Good luck with the heat - I would be a puddle too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home