The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Hunt Is Over

Tonight after work I popped into Commuknity. They have social knitting on Wednesday nights and I was still on the hunt for the yarn for the Irish Hiking Scarf. I was thinking maybe baby alpaca but after fondling a few balls (ahem, get your mind out of the gutter ladies) I thought maybe all that cable work would more or less *melt* in something so soft. And then I found this.

I think the word to use here is "bingo." This is Louisa Harding's Kashmir Aran. It's composition is 55% merino wool, 35% microfibre and 10% cashmere. Not quite as soft as baby alpaca but it does have a nice hand. And I think it's got the oomph for all those cables. It's not quite so shiny in *real life* but it does have a bit of a sheen to it. Also, as with most of the yarn at Commuknity, it was very reasonably priced. I can't tell you exactly how much because the gentleman I am knitting this scarf for actually reads my blog every day. In my book, that fact alone gets him a scarf.

I would have cast on for the IHS tonight except you know what they say about sock yarn ...

"You can never have enough."

Now let me tell you that this picture does not do justice to the colors in this ball of yarn. In fact the ball of yarn doesn't do justice to itself. I probably wouldn't have bought it except Emy (my fantabulous Sock Teacher) recommended it. And Emy knows oodles more than I ever will about sock yarn. So when I got home I decided to give it a whirl. I am loving this yarn. LOVING. When I get a bit more done I'll post another picture so you too can be in awe of Miss Emy's amazing sock yarn picking ability.

In other yarn-y news ... I ripped out the Little Rune Sock because I am not pleased with my Sockotta yarn. I'm thinking that wearing a pair of socks made from Sockotta would be like walking around with brillo pads duct taped to the soles of your feet. Big ouch. Or maybe I need to knit this particular yarn on like a size US 0. Frankly I have no idea because frankly all I've knit is a sockette and half of one other sock. No sock expert am I.

Furthermore ... I've ripped out the Falling In Love scarf as well. As you may (or may not) recall, I was using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn for that little number. Well if I'm knitting a scarf with hearts all over it I'd like something that looks a little softer than the kitchen twine effect I was getting.

See this is what happens when you purchase a yarn winder. You feel absolutely no compunction whatsoever about ripping things out. Because then you just rewind all that lovely yarn into a stunning yarn cake, throw it into the stash box and it's as though that particular project never existed to begin with. I think I'm on to something here.

Rubber sweaters for my DPN's. May I never lose one again.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I'm crushed!
    You did realize that the Little Rune was a child's sock, right?

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Well, not being a knitter, I'm not too embarrassed that I didn't know what DPN stood for until you showed your DPNs with their nice new little holder.

    Love the grey yarn, and it sounds wonderful from the description. But for me to even think about wool, I think I'd have to live a bazillion miles north of where I am. I'm dying here it's so hot!

    Renee

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger April said…

    trek, trek, trek,

    what am i going to do with you? i said i didn't like the yarn, not the pattern. i'm going to do the Little Rune in a solid so the pattern will show better. stayed tuned for pics.

    and yeppers, i know it's a child's sock. i'm knitting them for Andy. :)

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    i would never knit something in wool for myself either. being in california and all. but the person i'm knitting it for is in new jersey. i understand it gets chilly there in the winter.

    java drops comin' yer way.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Yes, it does get cold in New Jersey - every winter. And it gets hot, too, every summer. And it gets really humid while it is very hot in the summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home