The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Fish Sticks

After an evening of knitting, here is the start of the Irish Hiking Scarf in the color way "Brook Trout."

What do I think about Knit One Crochet Too's "Paint Box" yarn? Well it's definitely 100% wool, complete with "vegetable matter" and a hearty dose of lanolin. And, truth be told, it's makin' me a bit itchy. This would have to be an "outside the coat" scarf, not a "next to the neck" scarf. I can't say I'm crazy nuts about the color either, even though the color at the bottom is actually more of a heathered moss green, as opposed to the grey brown shown in the pic. I think this yarn choice may be a bit of a bust. However, if I was a felter this would probably make a very cute fall purse. Do you felt? Write me, maybe I'll send 3 balls of Paint Box yarn to you. The search continues ...

But not all the mail that came today was a total loss. Amazon.com is having a "Buy 3, Get 1 Book Free" sale and some of the books are CHEAP. Like these two.

The "Animal Knits" book has some unbelievably cute patterns in it.

Tiger Sweater (a most descriptive name)

It's a British book so most of the yarn used in the patterns is Rowan. I don't know about where you live, but in the Bay Area Rowan yarn is everywhere. I can remember when I first started knitting back in the mid 80's and Rowan was the creme de la creme of yarns. If you invested in Rowan yarn to make a sweater you were definitely making an heirloom. Now it's as common as Simply Soft. Not quite as inexpensive, but definitely as plentiful.

In other knitting news, Branching Out is finished (except for blocking) and Besotted has maybe another 50 rows to go. Since the purchase of more yarn for the Irish Hiking Scarf will have to wait until next payday I may have to go stash diving if I want to start another project. Imagine.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Have you ever tried this little trick: wash the finished garment in shampoo and then condition it with regular old hair conditioner. Makes the wool nice and soft - just like on human hair.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Hi April, just wanted to pop in and say hello! Fleur is precious! She looks like one of the mice I had who died last year (very sad, she died very soon after her buddy died of cancer).

    Your scarves look gorgous. Even if you don't like the yarn, the pattern is fantastic!

    Oh, and Sammy wants to say hello to Andy. Sammy is way on the road to recovery, I just need to get some weight on him, but he feels fantastic, looks a million times better, and loves his catnip fish so much, he's sqirreled it away some where I don't know where.

    As for me, love the Java drops: I'm almost out, so now I have to see if I can find them here in town!

    Have a great day!

    Renee

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your knitting looks lovely, even if the yarn isn't being friendly. I would agree with trek, a little shampoo and conditioner can work wonders. Worth a try, maybe on a swatch? before you give up ... good luck, whatever you decide!!

    -- Secret Pal

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger April said…

    trekster,

    but i'd still have to knit the scarf first and i'm all scratchy and stuffs. give me merino any day.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    where j00 been? i'm glad sammy is getting better, poor little guy. andy suggests a daily regime of gnawing on bamboo crochet hooks and artistically rearranging yarn for optimum health. i got the java drops at trader joe's - do you have trader joe's in texas? if not, i'll send ya more. lemme know.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger April said…

    i have a secret pal, i have a secret pal. neener, neener.

    hi secret pal!

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    April, I don't even know what Trader Joe is. But those Java drops go well with my diet Pepsi. Sam gets a daily dose of yarn rearrangement, trust me! He's not quite to Andy's artistic abilities in that regard, but he has his moments!

    Renee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home