The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Feedin' Time

After a bit of a scare, the goats are settling in nicely. Leland has been fighting a cough since the day I got him and it has been getting progressively worse over the last few days. Goats are somewhat susceptible to respiratory illnesses so I was quite concerned. The ultimate diagnosis? Lungworm. It's exactly what it sounds like it would be. However, after a dose of wormer followed by a shot of acidophilus, he's on the mend. Back to bossing his brother around and getting his fair share of hay.

There's definitely a goat hierarchy going on in my "herd." That's Leland err ... standing and Stanton nibbling away on the bottom. Stanton defers to Leland in just about every situation but especially when food is involved. And no, my goat's eyes are not generally so possessed looking. Although goats eyes are a bit strange.

To me all hay looks the same but Stanton was obviously looking for something special in this batch.

Here we have the Double Decker Goat Buffet. I have NO idea how Leland can be comfortable sitting in the manger like that. But that's generally where he is when it's dinner time. Occasionally Stanton will get up there but Leland soon comes along and shoves him out.

They're slowly getting less timid. I can now sit within about a foot of them when they're eating. And if he's feeling particularly brave, Leland will come up and lick my arm. They also run to the gate and start bleating when they see me walking down the path. Which warms my frigid heart to no end. I'm sure they're just saying, "Here comes the food dispenser!" but I like to think they love me. Even though I've only had them a week I can't imagine life without them now. They have such distinct personalities; I'm starting to think that goats are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. Everyone should own a goat or four!

6 Comments:

  • At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lungworms - YUCK! Glad he's feeling better though. Doesn't seem to have affected his appetite :)

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw, your kids are so cute!I'm glad you have good medical attention for them. (Did you check with work to see if your "kids" are covered under your medical plan?)

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    I love the goats, they are so cute
    and
    I'm sure that they know who you are
    and not just as the food lady.
    4 goats??????
    When do the next 2 arrive?
    Lindy

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just love goats!!! Is it true that they will eat practically anything? My mom said that she has seen them chewing on cigarette butts yuck....

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Are you getting any knitting done while you goat-sit? ;o)

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh, how cute!!! I'm sort of freaked out by the idea of a lungworm...but I blame the worm and don't hold the goats in any less regard. I'm sure they really do love you for more than the food. Goats are pretty affectionate little critters...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home