The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Caution - Stationary Objects

Generally speaking, the only danger you'll find at a horse ranch are the actual horses themselves. You could get stepped on, kicked, bit, the list goes on. Unless of course, your name is April.

The area that Leland and Stanton are in has no electricity. Since the ranch is basically out in the middle of nowhere it gets very dark at night. So yesterday on my way to see the goats I stopped at Ace Hardware and bought a battery operated lantern.


These three goats are also at the ranch. They belong to a lady who gives lessons to little kids and she owns four or five horses. Unfortunately the goats are somewhere near the bottom of the importance list. So I've taken over the care of them. Each day I make sure they've got water and I share my goats grain with them. They're in a pen with a lovely wooden roof. The roof is kind of low so when you're in the pen you have to walk bent over.

Last night I took my handy dandy new lantern and went into the pen to get their dish. I turned around to walk back out and BAM! Smacked my forehead right into the cross beam of the roof. Luckily it was only my head, otherwise I might have been in serious trouble. Savannah and Alexandra were watching me and there was a qreat hue and cry as I bounced off the cross beam.

It's always nice to have an audience when you do something really stupid.

After reassuring them that I was fine they ran off in search of other people doing stupid things. Five minutes later I tripped over a log and sprained my ankle.

As I was beginning to wonder if my new lantern was a jinx, Alexandra came running up asking to borrow it as the light in the bathroom was out. Savannah REALLY had to go. We hightailed it off in the direction of the bathroom.

Have you ever seen one of those cartoons where someone gets hit in the head with a frying pan and it makes that really cool WAH WAH WAH noise? That was the sound my forehead made as I ran into the hitching post. Traci, who was standing a good twenty feet away, actually heard the collision between my forehead and the metal post. Why we have a hitching post that high is beyond me.

No, I hadn't been drinking. Really. And other than seeing baby goats along the side of the road all the way home and a big bump on my head, I think I'm OK. Maybe.


OK, enough stupid April tricks. This is Suzie Q, a pure bred Halflinger mare. Isn't she gorgeous? Her owner has painted the entire inside of her stall. It's covered in rolling hills, with Halflingers scattered about and people reclining beneath trees.

And this little sweetie is Maggie May. She's three months old and is 3/4 Brussels Griffon and 1/4 chihuahua. They don't get much cuter or more precious than little Maggie. I wish she was mine but no, she belongs to Emily, a girl who rides at the ranch.

In Sock Wars news, I'm still alive and on the foot of Weapon #2. Since there's no mail delivery now until Tuesday because of the holiday it *might* be safe to say I'm set to kill my original target. Barring any more collisions with stationary objects.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Great Googly-Moogly that's a whole bunch of head trauma and such! Hmmm...what might cheer up an ailing goat owner? I know! Yours is one of the "found addresses." There may or may not be a highly amusing school picture of a certain Sheepie blogger winging it's way to the other side of the country...

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Qoq.

    That's pretty impressive.

    (I tried to type 'wow' but my fingers were on the wrong keys. I like 'qoq' though.)

    If you start thinking you have four goats, though, you might have your vision checked in case you're seeing double after all that head-banging.

    Take care!

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    I'm glad that you're OK,
    but,
    I'm having a great laugh at your misfortunes!
    We're goats entertained by their mothers antics?
    Lindy

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is one cute doggie!!!!

    "Quiet Mitz, its only a photo"


    Love the animal pics. Please send the goats my best wishes.They are my favs.

    Huggs, G

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I think that I have a sympathy headache from reading about your head injuries. Take off today and rest your aching noggin.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home