The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mum Update

No pictures again today. No computer as a matter of fact. I'm sitting in the local Kinkos paying good money to access the Internet. The things one will do to get online. Mum's ISP can't seem to find the Internet so here I am.

Mum is being moved to a hospice this week. Which is really outstanding news. It's run by the Salvation Army and they only charge $40 a day for a private room. Mum's Canada Pension will more than cover the cost. They have 24/7 medical staff, counsellors (did I spell that right? I'm too lazy too look it up), pretty much everything my Mum will need to live out her remaining months ... years ... we really don't know. I have a meeting with my Mum's GP tomorrow to get an update on her prognosis. Then a meeting with the Social Worker who's handling the transistion.

I'm mulling over the idea of moving back to Canada if it turns out that Mum will be around for a while. I'll just take over the lease on her suite which is much, much nicer than my apartment. Except all the walls are painted pale lavender. ALL the walls. Why would someone paint an entire suite purple? And there are mirrors EVERYWHERE. Mirrors are not my friend. Mirrors yell, "Hey, April, do you really need another pastry?" Perhaps I could cover them with towels.

Re: my yarn posting from yesterday. As lovely as Needful Yarns "Piccadilly" is to look at, only someone with a death wish would attempt lace with a yarn that's actually three strands wound to look like one but that instantly fling themselves apart as soon as you start knitting. I'm sure someone will love it as a garter stitch scarf.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    It sounds like you've found the ideal place for your Mum and that they do a nice job with the transitional piece. This is an important and often overlooked step. I am highly anti-mirror right now. Cover them! They are evil things that will suck the self-esteem right out of you and leave you wanting large amounts of self-pity cake!!! Of course it might be the cake that got me into this mess in the first place...

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds like a good deal from the SA, and 24/7 medical is a fantastic thing.
    A lavendar suite with mirrors? Sounds...well...not like a place you'd want to hang out in for long. Maybe turn those mirros into picture frames instead.
    Do you come back soon? Have some fun for yourself, too, while you're there. Oh, wait, you're yarn shopping. You ARE having fun.

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Lavender - um, and is it decorated with lots of my little ponies?

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger aija said…

    I'm glad to hear she's found a good place, it can be so hard.

    I'm embracing the mirror even though I don't like what I see-- too many homemade cookies and comfort foods as the weather turns colder :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home