The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Color Me Amazed

Last week I posted a mini-tirade about a new employee at one of my favorite yarn stores. The gist of the post was that this individual could use some serious improvement in her customer service skills. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt because I myself can be *ahem* difficult to deal with at times. But this woman had just rubbed me the wrong way too many times. Could I be the only one she annoyed? I didn't think so. And this yarn store has the best selection of Koigu anywhere, they HAVE to stay in business. Plus everyone else that works there is capital D delightful.

I had the day off from work today so of course I went back to the yarn store to see if there was anything new I needed to own. I know that one or two of the other ladies that work there read my blog. I wasn't too sure if I was going to be poked to death with knitting needles or not. I couldn't have been more wrong. As it turned out, my little rant was the icing on the cake (cake? did someone say CAKE?). Miss Unpleasant is no longer an employee at my Koigu haven. And (you'd better sit down for this part) the owner of the store presented me with a VERY generous gift certificate for taking the time to bring this issue to their attention. Did I say VERY generous? I meant VERY VERY generous. As in, when I opened the envelope the first words out of my mouth were, "Holy shit."

So dear readers, it would appear that we do have a voice when it comes to our LYS. If someone could use some remedial customer service training, it's up to you to speak up. In this day and age of online shopping the real advantage your LYS has is in the service they provide. Without our feedback, the snippy snot behind the cash register will continue to stuff eight balls of yarn into a two inch bag and throw your change at you. All while chatting with her best friend on the phone.

Now on to much happier subjects. She struck AGAIN !!!

My Other Secret Pal, who is no longer secret (Hi, Valerie!) has done it again. She's a crazy woman, she is. What we have here, from left to right, is a 9" X 5" loaf pan made from silicone (can it REALLY go in the oven?), a postcard of a pig fountain and mmmmm lemon curd. I am a citrus-aholic and could eat this stuff with a spoon right out of the jar. But that makes my tummy not very happy. You can use it as a spread or as pseudo-icing for .... lemon bread! See the connection? Lemon bread - loaf pan - lemon curd. That Valerie, she's a smart one. And not just because she has the letters p, h and d after her name.

THANK YOU OTHER NO LONGER SECRET PAL !!!

Finally, something new from Regia. I bought some bamboo yarn a few months back from South West Trading Company and HATED it. So I was a little reluctant to even touch this stuff. But once I did ... oh my. This yarn is ultra soft and destined to be a pair of socks. It's made from 45% bamboo, 40% superwash wool and 15% polyamid from the polyamid sheep. Be on the look out for this, it's nummy.

10 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that is awesome! I am very impressed. I knew you needed to talk to the owner, good for you and for them. In retail, especially lys that compete with online sales customer service is highly important...the most important thing!

    I have wondered if my lys owner has been reading my blog as the last time I went in she really recognized me, asked me if I wanted to start a stitching group and was super nice.

     
  • At 3:30 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I love it when the whole "the customer is always right" thing works the way it is supposed to! When you find a place that carries Koigu you could be at their mercy. I have a few of the silicone pans and they work great. I've not only knocked out several loaves of lemon bread but also some pumpkin and chocolate chip varieties. It's almost like cake...

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that is great news. No one should have to be treated like that when buying yarn. (Or anything else.) That lady probably didn't value the job that much anyway. So, she can move on. And it's nice that the LYS owner is making amends. It goes a long way. If/when I'm out that way, I'd stop by to shop because of her recognition of your situation. That's good management.
    LOVIN' your SP stuff. Are you learning to knit faster to use up all this acquired stash??

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    You really can put the loaf pan in the oven. You'll never have a loaf stick in the pan again (Though I suggest putting it on a cookie sheet for support). I've got some circular layer-cake 'pans' out of silicon, and some cookie sheet liners, and just loooove them.

    Almost as good as circular needles. Almost.

    Good job on the LYS. I doubt mine knows there's an internet.

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Awesome! That was a great ending to an unhappy tale. Especially since you can now buy your Koigu in peace!

    And a silicone loaf pan - you ARE in heaven today, APril!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    That's really a relief about the LYS. I haven't had much luck with my LYS (where they told me they weren't going to be buying any solid-color sock yarn, and I should learn to like the stuff they had), but this is, after all, San Diego, where people Do Not Knit, apparently. It's reassuring to hear a story like yours!

    I'm all sad that I don't have an excuse to keep sending you packages...

    -- Your no longer secret, but still pal!, Valerie

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger soapy said…

    AWESOME and great color too!
    I'm hoping to get my hot little hands on some someday....Hopefully sooner then later~! Enjoy!
    AWESOME SP!

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger aija said…

    Very cool of your LYS!! I love all the employees at my lys, even though I don't get in there enough... its good to hear about good customer service :)

    I wish I hadn't seen that bamboo yarn!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I mean EACH of those exclamation points!!) :)

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Susan Wike said…

    Maybe I should blog about the B****at the liquor store who keeps giving me lectures whenever I go in to buy my Hubby's gin. The last place that I need the morals police is at the liquor store!

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At first I thought bamboo yarn would be kinda funny to play with but once I touched it I fell in love with it and would try to get them at my local yarn stores ^_^ They don't relly have colors I like so I'm now looking online.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home