The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Gauge Swatches - Always A Good Idea

It's been over 20 years now since I first started knitting. And probably at least 10 years since I seriously attempted to knit anything of substance. But I can still remember religiously doing my gauge swatches before every single project. And each time the Yarn Gods would smile down upon me and my swatch would be exactly 4" on the suggested needle size. Exactly. Every time. Ask my Mom if you don't believe me.

So naturally I assumed this miraculous ability to create according to specification would carry over to crochet. Ha! Double ha! Apparently I put the "T" in TIGHT when it comes to crochet. Granny squares that *suggest* an "H" hook I do with a "K". Shawls that *suggest* a "J" are done with an "L" (and only because I refused to go a size larger.) Eventually you'd think I'd learn from all of this and do a gauge swatch before starting ANY crochet project. That's what a smart person would do. As opposed to say ... a woman who refuses to believe that her crochet won't be perfect the first time. No, it's only after I've gone 10 or 12 full rows of a hat that wouldn't fit a 2 month old kitten that I concede defeat. Which is why this hat that I started Saturday night is only six inches across. Because I just never learn.

Monet Afghan update - six squares done, six more to go. I had the lofty goal of doing one square per day this week so by the weekend I could start putting it all together. Then ... well ... please see picture # 1.

Amber won the first FANTASTIC PRIZE in the "Made In Canada" contest and here's what she won! Two six ounce skeins of Bernat Baby Coordinates in pale yellow (thank you stupid camera for failing to capture that) and the Leisure Arts Leaflet "Quick And Easy Baby Afghans."

Since the "Made In Canada" contest is a work in progress I've decided to add a rule. And the rule is - you can only win ONCE in a 4 week period. Oh and here's a modification. Please post your CORRECT answer to the blog; that way we don't waste people's valuable time e-mailing me their answer if someone else has already won.

Here is today's "Made In Canada" question: Who's profile is on the Canadian penny? Good luck!

And now I must go retrieve my yarn from the cat. Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger April said…

    Ooo, Raquel very good, especially with the designation of QE the SECOND! You're our lucky winner! Prize to be posted tomorrow. Congratulations!

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lol, Hey April. I rarely do a gauge swatch, and sometimes I pay for it. :)
    Hey, I like that monet afghan! That's got a neat texture. How large is it going to be?
    OOOh goody!!! Baby yarn! :) Thanks!!!
    Congratulations Raquel!!! Can't wait to see whatyou won.
    Hey April, how often and how long are you thinking of doing this contest?
    Good luck with unwinding the cat!!!!!:)

    Amber

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI April,

    I am glad you have the new rule since I don't stay up as late as the winner and miss out when I have the right answer. Maybe I can get in a right answer in the future. I have the same issues as you do with crochet and knitting. I seriously think we are twins that were separated at birth.

    Cindy

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't make garmets very often because of the whole gauge thing. Even if I test my gauge, when I start making something, it'll come out different! I wonder if it happens more in crochet than in knitting. Who knows? When I think knitting, I think garment; when I think crochet, I think afghans! Well, good luck with your hat. The 'ghan is looking gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home