The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Speaking Of Crochet

I suppose you all think I've been busy running my little contest and haven't bothered to actually crochet anything myself. Well excuse me, but I'm afraid you're terribly mistaken. As evidence of that, here are five squares I've done for Drew The Crochetdude. These are all Chris Simon's designs and they've all been done in Simply Soft (as if I would use anything else). These squares are so much fun to do and her instructions are so well written. Trust me, if I can follow them, ANYONE can.

And here is Miss Lydia No Face modeling the "Windy City Chicago" hat from the Little Box of Crocheted Hats and Scarves. Since my tension is usually a little on the tight side and since I have such a fat head I went up a hook size. Apparently all the wine I generally consume during crocheting had me more relaxed than I thought I was. This is one honkin' big hat.



Let us now turn our attention to the real reason anyone reads this blog. Of course, that would be FANTASTIC PRIZES. Since we just celebrated a long weekend and I celebrated a birthday I got the wonderful idea to combine three days worth of prizes into one spectaclar prize! Hey, it's my contest - I get to make up the rules. Anyway, here it is and this is what the nice person selling it on eBay had to say about it:

This hook is a size L. It's 7 1/2" long and handcarved by Papa Don. The color has lovely shades of deep strawberry pink, purple grape and rosewood burgundy woods. He does not use a lathe. Each one is handcarved, free form without patterns, and no two are exactly alike.

This special hardwood is dyed, laminated and impregnated with resin under extreme heat and pressure, resulting in a waterproof, hard and very durable, ultra smooth material. The colors and finish are in the woods and no external finish is used. When Papa Don does his final touches the hook just glides through your yarns. You won't find a smoother finish anywhere!

All of our hooks come with a nice protective pouch.


I wish I could enter my own contest.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi April!!
    Hey I like those squares!!
    Where did you get the patterns?
    (I love simply soft as well!!! :))
    That's a great hat. I've not really done hats, but I probably should do some.

    Wow! That is quite the hook!
    By the way, how are you going to split things up into two baskets? just randomly pick something to put in each? Just curiouse. I will definetly be conntacing you Friday!!!
    Amber

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April, you do beautiful work! And so many squares! Your prizes are too much! I think you should be able to enter your own contest :) I would say that is fair!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger April said…

    Hi Amber!

    My squares are all designs by Chris Simon. Some of her patterns are on CrochetPatternCentral but I also own three of her books that she sells on Etsy.

    As far as the baskets go, they'll be split up based on approximate value of all the stuff in them.

    Hope that helps ...

    April

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger April said…

    Kerry,

    I do beautiful work because I have wonderful friends that give me beautiful yarn to use. :)

    A.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Jaye said…

    Beautiful squares! I LOVE Chris Simon's squares and enjoyed making them to send to Drew, though I hadn't made any in Caron SS yet, but think they look so much nicer and more "finished" than in RH or other similiar brands of acrylic.

    Great job on the squares and on your very entertaining blog :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home