The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Winter Equals Baking

One of the downfalls of living in California is that in the summer it's generally too hot to bake. Actually make that mid-April to mid-October. My teeny tiny apartment does have an air conditioner but it only cools the living room. If it's July and you turn on the oven in my apartment it's game over. No need to add any liquid to your recipe, just stand next to the mixing bowl and sweat into it. Isn't that a pleasant thought?

I hate it. I *love* to bake. Baking is what I do. When I was younger I wanted to be a pastry chef but I didn't think I had the creativity. But I can follow a recipe with the best of them! So when winter rolls around I go into a mad flurry of baking. I usually bake at least twice and more often, three times a week. Quick breads, cookies, squares, more quick breads, you name it.

Last night I made Cherry Nut Bread from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I bought back in 1979. I always makes notes in my cookbooks about how a recipe turned out and the day I made it. Apparently I've been making Cherry Nut Bread since January of 1982. And it's still my favorite quick bread recipe. I don't care if maraschino cherries are loaded with chemicals and dye, I love 'em. Also this recipe has buttermilk in it so it's really moist. The rats like it too. I can't wait until I'm back in Vancouver and can bake ALL the time!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I've been doing non-oven cooking too!! We use glace cherries more often here, the maraschino being for drinks!! Buttermilk is a favourite ingredient of mine, it does make things lovely and moist.

     
  • At 1:44 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Mmmm! That looks yummy and I don't normally start drooling over the non-chocolate desserts.

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    good post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home