The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Homeward Bound

Summers at the lake. Where three room cabins, named after birds, held my family and the families of my parent’s friends. Somehow we always ended up in “Swallow”, the last one in the row. I would share a room with my younger brother, Kenny. The cabins were so close to the lake you could hear the waves at night.

We drove to the lake in my Dad’s ’65 Rambler. I would sit in the back seat and throw up most of the way. When you’re only eight years old, 350 miles by car is quite the journey.

My family is gearing up for another journey. This time though there won’t be any need for air mattresses or bug repellent. It’s doubtful that anyone will be snapping pictures of sun burnt children fishing off the end of a dock. I’m not planning on buying any marshmallows or boxes of Aunt Jemima pancake mix.

Instead, on Saturday, I’m going to get in my car and drive 1,200 miles North back to Canada. My Mum has cancer and it’s time to trade positions. Instead of her waiting on me hand and foot, as she has for the last 46 years, I’ll be the one making the tea and cooking ham steaks with mashed potatoes and peas. I’ll make sure she has clean clothes and that the bathroom is just as pristine as it always was.

She brought me into this world and now it’s time for me to help her out of it.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    A hug and a prayer for a safe journey
    for both you and mom.
    This is the hardest and most rewarding thing a loving daughter can do for a much loved parent.
    Lindy

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hugs!

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    April, Can you email me your mom's address so I can send her a little card?

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My heart goes out to you and your mom. I'm going through this with my dad. Give a shout any time. ANY TIME, ok?
    Safe travels.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Craft Kitten said…

    Many hugs, and if you need anything you let me know.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh April...I am so very sorry. What strength it takes to allow the mother/daughter positions to be reversed. You really honor your mom. I'll be thinking of you.

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Blogger Abby said…

    April,
    May the Creator bless your hands and heart as you care for your mother.
    I will be thinking of you.
    Abby

    By the way, I did get the yarn. Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home