The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

One Ugly Sock, Two Cute Goats

Knitting in a goat pen. This is what my life has become. Thankfully neither of the goats shows an interest in yarn or bamboo DPNs, unlike some cats I know. They also don't ask a million and one questions such as, "Is that sock for the goat?" And so I present to you, Ugly Sock #1. Enhanced in it's ugliness by my lily white leg. However, it is quite comfy and it fits and my experiment worked. What we have is here is two strands of Vesper yarn knitted on US 3's using Cavyshops "Zig Zag Sock" pattern (link in sidebar). The pattern is originally written for DK weight yarn which more or less equals two strands of fingering. Now if it would tone itself down a bit, things would be grand.

Saturday is the designated major cleaning day in the goat pen. Each day the pen gets swept and the food trough emptied, washed and refilled. But come Saturday it's time to change the shavings in the dog house, empty and clean the water trough and do a SERIOUS sweep. Leland and Stanton's response to all this activity?


"Don't mind us, we'll just sit here and chew our cud."

That's the dog house they're sitting on top of. The boys are now 4 months old and entering puberty. This has resulted in a lot of head butting, prancing and the waving of hooves. Leland will also occasionally try and head butt my hand just to let me know he's boss.

Leland

I guess he figures if he can boss his brother around, he can tell me what to do as well. He's still the friendlier of the two and loves to give kisses. He'll also bite your nose if you get too close. Fortunately for me and my nose, his teeth are pretty small. Since he's the more laidback of the pair we're going to start leash training in two weeks in preparation for his debut in the show ring sometime next year (hopefully).

Stanton

Mr. Cautious is ever so slowly coming around. He doesn't bolt any more if I put my hand on him and I managed to snag one kiss this week. Any sudden movements though and he's gone. But that's fine with me, he can be whatever kind of goat he wants to be. I have issues with people who own animals and then expect them to "behave" in a certain manner. As long as he's happy, safe and healthy it's all good.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    The big, fluffy kitty and I agree with you on the idea that animals just aren't given to behaving like people. They are what they are and we need to appreciate them for that.

    Humans, of course, must bend to their will. I dance to the tune of the big, fluffy kitty...

     
  • At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April, I think all three are great! And that proves to me that there really are no ugly socks. (Almost sounds like a challenge, doesn't it??)
    And the Kidds are adorable. Will you be making them matching sweaters or hoof covers?

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    Is that a kitty butt near the luminous leg?
    They are two cute goats,
    who clearly enjoy watching their mom do all of the work.
    hey, the socks are ok!
    Lindy

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    The goats *are* cute!
    (Even if goats and sheep do have the freakiest pupils.)

    I like the sock. And don't worry about the lily white leg - low skin cancer risk! Besides, Canadians aren't supposed to tan well.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, your boys are so cute. I agree with you that we must let our animal friends be what/who they are. That is, after all, what makes them so special!

    I personally like your socks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home