The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Saturday Report

It's been a busy Saturday. Which may or may not explain why I'm posting this entry at 2am Sunday morning. Or it might have been the nap I had between 5 and 8 which has left me rather WIDE AWAKE. Anyway, my hair is now two inches shorter than it was when I woke up this morning, I have freshly pedicured toesies and I have *cough* new *cough* yarn.

I decided to visit Uncommon Threads in Los Altos today. This place gets a LOT of bad press because the owner is rumored to be a bit of a shrew. Before today I had never been there so I decided to find out for myself.

To be honest, I quite liked the place. They carry primarily Rowan yarns and have a huge selection. They also seem to have one of the largest selection of needles I've seen and a ton of books. There were two ladies working in the store when I was there but being a polite Canadian, I refrained from asking, "Which of you is the snotbag?" The store itself is older but well kept and there's a large bench with chairs at the back for browsing patterns. The prices were quite reasonable, considering the store is in Los Altos, one the Bay Area's wealthier areas. Here we have my solitary purchase.

Since I spread the yarn wealth this morning by mailing six balls to trek and one ball to Wendy, I decided to reward myself. Uncommon Threads had a sample of this knit up and it was really, really pretty. Now to find a pattern.

Have you ever knit with yarn that makes you smile just by looking at it? This yarn does that to me. This is some Claudia Handpainted that I bought from Commuknity a while back. It's called "Pink Cloud." And you may not believe this but I like it just as much as Koigu. It's also a lot softer than Koigu, which I don't notice when it was all skeined (is that a word?) up. This is replacing the Sockotta which I was using for the Cat's Paw sock. The little kitty paws weren't showing up like I wanted them to. I have lost count of how many times I've ripped out socks this week, it's at least four. I'm using the Crystal Palace DPN's my super duper wonderful Other Secret Pal sent me and these needles are the bomb. They're soooo smooth and the ends are nice and sharp. Poke poke.

In other sock news, Broadripple #2 is 16 rows from completion. It would probably have been done tonight except for some reason I decided to only decrease for the toe on the sole of the sock. Which made the instep look a bit funny. That's what happens when you knit at midnight.

And never let it be said that we don't know how to party on Saturday night.

"Weeee, spin the ball again, Mom!"

6 Comments:

  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Yay, thank you April!
    The pink sock looks pretty - sorry about the Broadripple - that is wht happens when knitting at midnight...sigh..

    You sure do know how to party :o)

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger April said…

    trekster,

    there might be something in the package for the Neatnik and the Number Guy as well. it's not *all* for you. :)

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Howdy April, man I need a pedicure! I got delayed coming home from Massachusetts, and I didn't get home until after 1am Saturday (as in, the middle of the night Friday). Then a friend of mine called at 8. I suspect I chewed her out.

    I went to WEBS! Yep, I sure did. And I bought 3 hanks of Debbie Bliss 100% silk DK. My hands feel they have died and gone to heaven. I keep fondling it. I have no clue what I'll make with it.

    I may have bought you something while I was there, but I'm being coy.

    Renee

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    Catherine (out cat) has the same toy!

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    oh lordy, i *love* the debbie bliss 100% silk, isn't it wonderful? do you think you'll get the job you went to interview for?

    don't go be sending me any yarn, i've given up knitting and crochet. really. i'm going to devote my energy to learning how to play the accordion.

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger April said…

    marie,

    i hope catherine isn't as stupid as andy. he just watches the ball go around. that's it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home