The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

In The First Hour

I am attempting to sleep through Christmas. It's going pretty well so far, I'm averaging 10 to 11 hours of shut eye per night. Of course this plan does sort of mess with the "breakfast schedule." But I've never been one to eat on a regular schedule so getting up at 11:50 in the morning and deciding to make scones for breakfast isn't that unusual.

And sitting in the cupboard was a package of Sticky Fingers Bakery "Wild Raspberry Scone Mix" - JUST ADD WATER! I mean, how easy could that be? I carefully measured out the water. After all when you're only required to add one ingredient you can take the time to be meticulous. I added it to the mix and whoa, this is pretty runny scone dough. I've made scones from scratch before and usually it's kinda lumpy. OK, maybe it'll "thicken" upon stirring.

It didn't.

In my blurry eyed confusion I added an extra 1 cup of water to the required 3/4 cup of water. It's OK though, because Cosentino's is right across the street! I'll go buy another package! Sure the store's gonna be a bit crowded but I only need one item!

You know, you hear about people slipping on banana peels but really - have you ever seen someone actually do it?

There I was, between Olives Of The World and the cheese display when my foot found perhaps the only discarded banana peel in all of Cosentino's. And wasn't that fantastic timing on my part to have that happen on the busiest grocery shopping day of the year! Why wait until the store is nearly empty to perform banana acrobatics?!?

However, I'd like everyone to know that I feel I went down rather gracefully. It wasn't a SLIP OH MY GOD FALL. No, I performed the sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide with one leg, land on the knee of the other leg maneouvre. And a big thank you to the elderly lady who shouted out, "Oh! You don't want to do that!" as I was mid-fall.

So I hobbled home - after all, there were scones to be made. I carefully measured out the water and stirred gently with a fork. I got out my new never been used cookie sheet and gently dropped rounded teaspoons of dough on it's shiny surface. I put the cookie sheet in the oven and closed the door ... closed the door ... closed the door ...

The. bloody. cookie. sheet. is. too. big.


But they were worth it.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Holy crap. I fell down a set of stone stairs Friday night (wrenched my foot and landed on my posterior), so I'm hobbling too. And you can believe me when I say I Feel Your Pain. Well, actually, I feel MY pain, but hey. We can pretend.

    I thought Christmas was cancelled. So in that case why do you need to sleep through it? Obviously we've skipped it and it's now Monday night. Isn't it?

    I want a scone.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Happy Christmas, April.
    The scones look lovely.
    Saying a prayer for you and your mom tonight.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel sorta bad about the amount of time it took me to recover from gales of laughter. It's just that, well...I've heard of the banana thing. I've just never seen it. I will make an effort to compose myself.

    Enjoy the scones and have breakfast whenever you want. Make the day whatever you want or need it to be. No harm, no foul. It's easy to say, "it's just another day." But sometimes it isn't. And those are the days I sleep through, myself!

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hah, I've done something similar in baking measurements. I mis-read the 1/2 cup and used 1 2cup amount instead. It was VERY soupy.
    Not to worry about sleeping through the Holiday. It's over here, too. The tree came down this morning. We set it out in the hallway in the stand. Maybe someone else will want to enjoy it.
    And I've been parked on the sofa all evening knitting and watching DVDs, so no banana escapades for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home