The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Yarnage


Because you never can have enough Cabin Cove Mercantile yarn ...



Laceweight, 850+ yards, 100% Merino wool. And it's not really orange, it's strawberry. I've decided I'm only going to buy yarn in colors that photograph well from this day forward. Either that or start taking pictures in natural light. I really am the world's worst photographer. A fact I'm reminded of whenever I cruise over to Dave's blog. Anyway, I have no idea what I'll make with this but who buys yarn with a plan?

There's a new yarn store in town! Hooray! Purlescence Yarn has opened in downtown Sunnyvale and it's lovely. I went there yesterday to check things out and found this.



I do love baby alpaca. This is Alpaca With A Twist's "Baby Twist." 100% baby alpaca, 50 gram balls with 110 yards per ball, DK weight sorta. And the best part? Only $6.85 a ball. Can someone tell me why alpaca is so inexpensive? Once again I've failed to capture the beauty of this yarn, think dark hunter green. With just a bit of a sheen. Hey, that rhymes! OK, it's early, hush. I actually bought four balls and figured I'd make this ...



This is Knitspot's "Opens and Folds Scarf." I adore cabled scarves, really I do. But a little monotonous to knit sometimes. Enter this lovely pattern that combines LACE and CABLES. Now that's inspired pattern design if you ask me. So I did a few rows using the Baby Alpaca on US 6's and it was a little tight. Went up to US 8's and it was too loose. Also, and this should be obvious to everyone but me, the yarn was just too damn dark for any of the pattern to really stand out. Like hello, duh, April.

So I rooted around in the ol' stash (proving once again why it's important to have more yarn than you'll ever be able to knit) and found two balls of Rowan's "Felted Tweed" which is working out quite nicely. Pictures when I get a bit further into it. Crappy pictures, but pictures nevertheless. Enjoy your Sunday.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love baby alpaca too April. Gorgeous stuff. You've got some great yarn there. And that scarf is going to be on my to-do list for one of the next projects I do. I love it. Cables AND lace. I will die and go to heaven. Will you get Julie to block it again?

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it all...the yarn, the scarf, the photography. It's a feast for the eyes! Happy knitting!

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmmm, lots of pretty stuff here today. I like that alpaca. I've got somet hat needs to be turned into a hat REAL soon. (Who said there is snow tonight???)
    Remember, that flash is not your friend. Natural INDIRECT light works best. NO direct sunlight, either. Really. Give it a shot. Oh, ha ha ha, that was funny, give it a shot. Photography. Oh, hell, never mind...

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Oooh, yarn p0rn. Cabin Cove is like buttah, I swear. And the green.. well.. that's pretty much my favorite color (only moss green wins over this shade), so I just want to lick it.

    Well, maybe not lick. That's kind of fuzzy.

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger soapy said…

    Love the strawberry color and the scarf looks great!

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    I, too, sucommed to the siren song of Dave's laceweight and when it arrived, I said to myself? "What are you going to make with that?" I have to check the yardage, wonder about Wings of the Moth???

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger aija said…

    I can never take good pics of red, either. I love baby alpaca, and that pattern... I'm doing another knitspot scarf and its fun (but makes me wonder why I'm knitting scarves!! too long.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home