The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Too Much Oddness

I have become A Neurotic Sock Knitter. This may have something to do with my superstitious nature. A common phrase in my vocabulary is “It’s a sign!” For example – if I have not allowed enough yarn for a long tail cast-on the pattern is doomed to fail. If a yellow Volkswagen drives by carrying two people and a poodle when I’m on a purl row, the sock won’t fit.

My knitting “quirks” have now expanded to include the number of stitches in a round. I seem to be incapable of knitting in anything other than multiples of 2. Yesterday I was working on the Basket Weave Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. The author of this veritable tome has an obsession for centering the pattern over the instep. I kept having to shift everything by one stitch. ONE STITCH. Truly, she was messing with my mind. At one point, and I kid you not, I had 27 stitches on N1, 16 stitches on N2, 17 stitches on N3 and 26 stitches on N4.

My knitting lobe went into meltdown.

Rip. Frog. Re-wind.

I am now doing another pattern, the Openwork Rib. On multiples of 4. And I refuse to shift.

While my mind was trying to deal with having an odd number of stitches on my needles I also had this goin’ on.

Pumpkin Bread. From a mix. I am not a big fan of “The Mix” but this one is fabulous. It’s from Trader Joe’s and I think it cost all of $1.99. It’s not overly spiced and all you need to add are eggs, oil and water. I also threw in some walnuts. Please try not to notice that there are two pieces already missing from the end. After all, I had to taste it to give my review.


This was once MY loveseat.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you need a bigger loveseat. ;)

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Cats make good soft seat cushions, I've noticed ;o).

    Email me before the tears, okay? :o)

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I gotta remember that one about the yellow Volkswagon with a poodle in it... maybe that's the sign I've been missing.

    I tend to shuffle my cat around the room; when she sleeps in my knitting spot, I move her to my office chair. When I need my desk, I move her to the recliner... it's amazing she can still walk.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm baking up some pumpkin bread this weekend for holiday gifts. Wouldn't it be tragic if one cracked and I had to eat it all by my widdle self?

    I need to start checking for those VWs during sock knitting. Clearly I have been missing some potent signs...

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I made that same pumpkin bread for my Halloween party. It's the only reasonable mix, in my opinion. Very yummy. We had a lot left over and I ate it every day for a week, and now I badly need a diet. I can't even blame Thanksgiving.

     
  • At 2:43 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    I had a yellow volkswagen,
    many years ago, but, no poodle!
    It's still your love seat,
    you just can't put your butt on it.
    The pumpkin bread smells good!
    Lindy

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Mmmm, pumkin bread! I love pumpkin bread. So, are you going to buy yourself any new furniture, since the kitties have clearly taken over? Sammy has taken to sleeping on my ottoman (I currently only have a chair and ottoman in my living room, which will change on Saturday when my new sofa gets delivered). He likes the ottoman, because I use it for my yarns and stuff.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not a fan of mixes either. But a good one is always worth knowing about. Pity you can't get that brand in Australia.

    Love your signs. I'll keep an eye out for the poodle one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home