The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Blocking For Bucks

You knit and you knit and you knit and all you end up with is something that looks like, as the Yarn Harlot so eloquently puts it, "ass." Or what appears to be a big pile of green string. Take your pick.



But then you grab your sewing basket, pin a few pins and it looks marginally better.


This would be the Streaming Leaves Scarf from Fiber Trends, off the needles as of 10pm this evening. I knit about 80% of this scarf while I was in Vancouver with my Mom. So I don't think I'll be giving it away. Anyway, this yarn was purchased in Canada, it's King Cole's Merino Blend. They're a British company and I really like the yarn, although I'm not wild about the color. But I *love* the pattern. The pattern repeat is over 64 rows so it was challenging enough to keep my interest but not so difficult that I gave up (obviously). It has 3, count 'em 3, mistakes in it but do I care? Nopers.


Next up, another Fiber Trends pattern that we've all seen way too many times on this blog. Let's hope that this ...

... will be the magical yarn that makes this scarf (Oak Leaf And Acorn) come to life. I've given up trying to keep track of how many times I've started and stopped this pattern. This particular yarn is Fearless Fiber's sock yarn, the name of the colorway "I've Forgotten."

Speaking of lacy scarves, is there anyone out there willing to block for bucks? I am unable to block because (a) well I don't know how to and I don't want to learn, (b) Andy, (c) Andy, (d) nowhere to block where Andy won't be able to get at the scarf. I have two lace scarves that need to be blocked. If you're interested in picking up a few extra dollars please let me know at Sakkasie@hotmail.com .

What's with all the lace scarves you ask? Well I'm in training for this ...


This is Scheherazade from the very talented Melanie of Pink Lemon Twist. The pattern has been purhased, the yarn ordered and the training program in full swing. Hey, who's that mumbling "April's lost her friggin' mind"?

8 Comments:

  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    good to see that you are over the
    "lace is not for me" stage.
    which only leaves me to ask
    which yarn and what colour?
    Lindy

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know nuttin' about no blockin'. I'm really bad at it. For lace, though, don't you just need some blocking wires from Knit Picks?Just wet and stretch, ro something like that. I'll bet if someone started a blocking business, they'd make a fortune. Blocking is my lseat favorite part of knitting.

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Ooooh, pretty. Both the finished scarf and the new one you're starting. LOVE the color, but then I've got a thing for orange/pink.

    From the look of that green scarf, I'd say you've got the skill to do Scheherezade (which I am likely misspelling) right now; it's the same skills, just smaller and with different yarn.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I block for you for free but would the blocking stay through USPS??

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Gorgeous job on Streamin' Leaves (which I keep wanting to call Screaming Leaves). I am *still* stuck on that one, need to go back to it and figure out where it all went wrong... your beautiful finished object definitely inspires me to return to it!

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Wow!! That's some impressive scarfage! You have more than enough skill for the Scherherazade!

    I block scarves on the vertical. That way they are on the wall or the folded ironing board and not an invitation for kitty napping. I don't thing this would work with bigger items and I don't know how lace would fare, but it has been a pretty good technique for simpler knits that just need a little shaping.

    Been to any good Etsy shops lately?

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Bells said…

    isn't blocking marvellous? There was a time when I didn't know what it was and started many items that I thought looked awful and abandoned them because I just didn't know they were supposed to look like 'ass' until you blocked them.

    Your stuff is beautiful Amy!

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The dry cleaning place down the street from me does blocking. Im sure you can find one near you that would block for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home