The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

TRICKERTREAT!

I have no pictures. But I do have a story.

Back when I was a kid (around the time dinosaurs walked the Earth) there were three important events in the year. MY birthday, Halloween and Christmas. Everything else paled in comparison. But when you’re talking presents and free candy that’s understandable.

Halloween night couldn’t start fast enough. After school I’d stand by the window watching the sky turn dark. Although I was perfectly OK with trick or treating starting at 4:00, not everyone felt the same way.

Last night, around 6:00, I was cleaning out the goat pen when my little pal Austen came running up to see what I was doing. He was looking very spiffy in a cowboy costume.

Me: Austen, why aren’t you out trick or treating?

Austen (in a quivering voice): I’m supposed to go with some other people but they’re not here yet.

Me: Why doesn’t your Mom take you?

Austen: She’s busy cleaning horse stalls.

Me: But this is prime trick or treating time.

Austen (now sniffling): I KNOW. And all the candy’s gonna be gone and Halloween is gonna be over and I won’t get to go and I won’t get any candy.

Well, what the heck was I supposed to do? An eight year old child is standing outside my goat pen crying because he’s afraid he’s going to miss Halloween.

Me: Austen, do you want me to take you trick or treating?

Austen: YEAH!!!

After clearing it with his Mom, we set off in search of the closest sub-division. And dear blog readers, we struck it BIG. We found a sub-division that went on for DAYS. Filled with happy houses complete with jack-o-lanterns, scary ghosts, and plenty of candy.

I have never seen a child run as fast as Austen. If the local utility company could have harnessed his energy we could have lit up San Francisco. He was so wound up he would do the Texas Two Step while waiting for people to answer the door. This of course was after he knocked on the door AND rang the doorbell. And it wasn’t “Trick Or Treat!”, it was “TRICKERTREAT!”

After half an hour, it fell to me to carry the trick or treat bag because it was so heavy. After an hour and a quarter it was definitely time to head back to the ranch and return Austen to his parents. I was sorry that they hadn't come along. Because their little guy won’t ever be eight again and Halloween 2006 is gone.

I’m quite sure Austen went to bed tired but happy last night. I did.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great story, even without any pictures. Aren't you a good friend!

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    How cool was that! You are awesome!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    That rocks and so do you. :) :) :)

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    That's great, April - for both of you.

    PS - I carried the bag last night and Neatnik carried a tiny pumpkin that she emptied into the bag periodically, too.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, that was so sweet of ya to do that. And you made one little boy VERY happy. It must have been fun to be out in that subdivision with all the little gobblins running around. I haven't experienced anything like that in decades!

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    April, what a great story! You will get good karmic points for taking your young friend out for trickertreating.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    How cute is that!!!! I'm not sure I could have resisted a snuffly little cowboy either. You are so sweet. He will remember that Halloween candy score and the nice goat lady for years to come.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home