The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Chicks Gone Wild

As usual, I went to the barn after work tonight. We have a chicken coop at the ranch that houses about 15 assorted chickens. They're usually let out around 4:30 - 5:00 each evening so that they can ... uhh ... stretch their legs? And since the coop is a short distance from my goat pen there's always a few chickens wandering around to see if I've dropped any grain.

So there I am, walking towards the pen and I hear "shuffle shuffle shuffle." I turn around and about a foot away is a chicken. Not wanting to appear rude, I say "Hello" and then keep walking. "Shuffle shuffle shuffle." I turn around again and there's the same chicken, but this time he gives me "A Look." By now Leland and Stanton are screaming because they can see me so I head off again.

"Shuffle shuffle shuffle." I turn around and the bird LAUNCHES HIMSELF AT ME. He lands on my arm, digs in with his claws and starts flapping his wings and squawking. I can't figure out if I'm being raped or assaulted but I start running around screaming, "OFF, OFF!!!" Finally the damn thing falls off and starts running for the coop.

What the hell? When did we start keeping attack chickens at the ranch? One of the little terriers that runs around the ranch has been catching chickens lately - was this a counter-attack? Am I going to have to start carrying a firearm? I must admit, I was a trifle shaken up. I've never, ever, been attacked by an animal before, let alone a stupid ass chicken. For heaven's sake.

Let us calm ourselves with yarn.


It's Lacevember, right? A celebration of lace and all the wonderful things that go into it's construction. Like say, some pretty laceweight yarn? But of course. This is Jade Sapphire's "Cashmere Silk" in the Caribbean Mist colorway. Like the name says it's 45% cashmere, 55% silk and a whopping 400 yards. Which is a good thing, because all I could afford was one skein. The picture doesn't even come close to doing it justice.

And to go with the lovely yarn, another pair of magic knitting needles.

These are Lauren Hill palmwood needles. I got my first pair of this particular brand back in April when I went on the knitting retreat. I've been a Lauren Hill junkie ever since. They're light, have nice pointy ends for knitting lace, and I dunno ... they just feel good. There also seems to be a very thin coat of varnish on them so the yarn just goes whoooosh.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must tend to my "chicken wounds."

6 Comments:

  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger stitching pooh said…

    When I was about 15 I made the mistake of bending down into the trashcan that we kept the feed in and this one chicken Whom I had named after one of My friends "craig" came after me in allmost the same way. But he launches himself on my head and dug in with his spurs. If you look real close you can see the small scars( just kidding, it healed quite nicely) but any way he was a polish chicken( a real goof ball with this black topknot) After I knocked him off my head he came back for a second attack. My dad had to dispose of him. He was quite possessed. And I am sure they had plenty of food and infact there was some on the ground close to me. So he was not even starving. No excuse for the KILLER POLISH CHICKEN. I don't know if you've seen this particular breed but its very goofy looking.

     
  • At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wacky chicken! Next time it comes near, just face it and flail your arms a little, and make a crow's "Caw Caw" sound. (When we were kids, my grandparents neighbors had chickens, and that's what they told up to do. It worked, but of course, they could have been joking.)
    The yarn is beautiful, and I like the look of those needles.
    Have a great weekend.

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Dayum!
    My SIL was attacked by a goose as a child and has harbored a hefty resentment ever since.

    BTW - are you trying to reverse the etsy conspiracy with a Lauren Hill offensive?

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger aija said…

    I am always cracking up at the adventures you have with the menagerie over there :)

    I hate geese for trek's reason, myself. I don't know if I could hate chickens though... tasty!

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    OK...I've read the manual several times through now and nowhere do I see where it says that being a goatherd is a more dangerous occupation than bomb disposal and professional bullet tester. What is going on over there?????

    You are clearly not ready to take custody of the big, fluffy kitty.

    Stay safe at the ranch! I need to see the lace. I can't see the lace if you are too injured to actually knit the lace.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What great looking needles!! I just recently got a set of wooden crochet hooks and I just love them...the feel of them, how they hook so well, even just how they look....

    BFN, G :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home