The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Beverly's Incident

Last week or so, I posted a "Six Weird Things About Me" meme. Apparently I might have forgotten something. I didn't include it because frankly I see nothing weird in this behaviour whatsoever. It would appear however that some people do.

Last night I went to Beverly's. It's sort of like a Michaels except they also carry fabric. And stuffed animals. Therein lies the problem. I am of the opinion that all stuffed animals should be treated with respect. Not crammed into shelves as if they're nothing more than fabric and stuffing. Not in my world, no way. But that's how they're treated at Beverly's.

So I did what I always do when I come across a situation like this. I put down my purse and began to rearrange the little fellows so they were all sitting upright and could see out. If you can believe it, some were lying FLAT ON THEIR TUMMIES while others were shoved into corners FACING BACKWARDS.

As I was busy rearranging a clerk came up to me.

"May I help you?" she asked.

"Nope," I replied. Couldn't this woman see I was busy?

"Well are you looking for something specific?"

"Nope." Generally I'm not this rude but lives were at stake here.

"What exactly is it that you're looking for, Ma'am?" she continued.

Obviously this woman was clueless and needed to be enlightened.

"I'm rearranging these toys so that they can see out. The way you have them mashed in here is atrocious."

Silence.

And then she started up again.

"Excuse you, but you can't put the pink toys in with the others, that's part of our Valentine's display."

I continued to rearrange. After all, it's bad enough that these poor toys were "seasonal offerings" (a case of obvious discrimination if I've ever heard one) but they had no room to move.

It was then that I was asked to leave the store.

It's a good thing I managed to get Busby out of there, it was clearly no place for a bear.



6 Comments:

  • At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are truly a humanitarian and my new hero. I will be flying out shortly to help you arrange a protest at Beverly's. If we can just get a few minor celebrities to back us up, we'll have those stuffies free in no time.

    now where did I put Ed Begley Jr's number...

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    lol roflmao

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, well, that's not weird, so it didn't need to go on the list. I don't find ANYTHING wrong with that at all. Really. I don't. And it's not at all like the occassions I went into the local Hallmark store and sis the same thing. I HAD to straighten out the Boyds bears. They were a mess. Same as you described. And they were mixed with...gasp...Beanie babies. It just is NOT allowed.
    They are no longer in business. I wonder why.
    Brava to you for taking care of the teddy bears. SOMEONE has to have a heart.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Ok. Maybe that's not weird. But it is entertaining...

    Hey, on a totally other topic, do you know about BookMooch.com? As a Post Office junkie anyway, I am now officially addicted. I'm hoping it turns into a good way to trade knitting books...

    I have a bear named Busby! Apropos of nothing.

    Are you going to knit him an outfit?

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a delightful and not at all weird story, I wish there were more people like you and not the clerk at Beverly's, I am so glad you were able to rescue at least one of them and a cute one at that...

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh. My. God. That's got to be the weirdest reason to be sent out of a store I've EVER heard.

    But worthy. Very worthy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home