The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Danger - Hay


Have you ever thought about how many times the letter "I" is used in the English language? A lot more than you'd think. Or at least, a lot more than I thought.

Last night as I was fixing Leland and Stanton's dinner I somehow managed to slice my finger open on a blade of HAY. This is about a million times worse than a paper cut. And the injured finger just happens to be the middle finger of my right hand. The one I use for typing the letter "I". Does anyone know of a language that I could quickly learn and that doesn't use the letter "I" quite so much as English?

What makes this whole situation even more ridiculous is that I bought a pair of gloves to wear while I'm doing goat chores. Because last week, as I was SWEEPING I got a blister. Am I truly hopeless or what? But last night I didn't bother to put on the stupid things because I was simply filling their trough with hay. And FYI, my head still hurts from when I ran into the hitching post.



Yesterday I posted that I was knitting with what might be the quintessential (I love that word, can you tell?) sock yarn. I was wrong. Yes, that makes twice in 46 years I've been wrong. Anyway, I should have known better. Because I had yet to knit anything with my lovely stash of Cabin Cove Mercantile. All of the skeins I've bought from Dave have been so gorgeous I've been afraid to use them. Something about not doing justice to the beauty of the yarn.

But keeping it in a Rubbermaid container isn't doing it any justice either. So last night I cast on, despite the near fatal injury to my finger, with this work of art. And let me tell you, all two of my blog readers, THIS is the sock yarn of choice. Soft? Oh heck, yeah. Splitty? Hell no. Color? Phenomenal. It's dreamy.

Have you ever read "A Confederacy Of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole? After I read that book I immediately went out and bought about six copies for all my friends because it was such an incredible book. That's kinda how I feel about this yarn. So now I need to spread the gospel of Cabin Cove Mercantile and that means it's CONTEST TIME!!! WeeEEeeEEee! Simply leave a comment and I'll do that random number generator thinger and we'll have a lucky winner tomorrow. Maybe two winners.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Dave's ran is pretty - watch those hay bales. See ya soon!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Pretty, pretty yarn. You'll get the hang of the goats and will be ducking those hitching posts on instinct soon.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you had to slice a finger (on hay no less), I think the middle one is the one to slice. I mean, you must have to hold it straight so it won't hurt (especially when someone you dislike is around) :)

    Dave's yarn looks absolutely yummy!

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Good heavens, is there some kind of special health insurance you can get as a goat owner? At any rate, the socks are just stunning and their beauty will heal your spirit if not your goat-related injuries!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perhaps the third time is the charm
    X your fingers
    BonnieBeerBitch

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I second what Julie says :-) Especially if you have a nice BIG bandage.

    And that's wild.. I'm actually in the middle of Confederacy of Dunces right now! Well, okay, 1/4 way in.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, April Honey, no. Not Rubbermaid???? I can send you yarn in a basket to place on your coffee table if you'd like. You're under NO obligation to knit it, just keep it away from plastic. (Some yarns have allergies, you know. lol)
    I'm all for pet insurance, for YOU and them.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    the goats sooo cute,
    so are you keeping a small first aid kit in the car
    and wearing your gloves?
    Dave's yarn is stunning,
    fondling or knitting with fabulous yarn
    will make the pain go away!
    Lindy

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hehehe... Dave's yarn looks beautiful but may be too high strung for my generic plastic tub o' stash! :)

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Abby said…

    As someone who has worked on a dairy, let me affirm your decision to buy gloves. I hope your sliced finger isn't infected. Who knows what bacteria you might find in animal-land. Not that your goats are dirty, just that animals carry different bacteria.

    Have you thought of installing a well provisioned first aid kit near your goats?

    Oh, and I just saw the picture of the kestrel. It's so beautiful, so much more than the illustrations that one finds in books. What a beauty.

    Speaking of beauties- I'm loving the Cabin Cove yarn. I'll have to look for it next time I buy sock yarn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home