The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Roving & Fish 'n Chips

Today was yarn store day. I had read about this particular store on the Knitty board and decided to check it out. This little establishment has been in business since 1939 and is located on Main Street in Vancouver. Not only do they sell regular ol' yarn but they're also a raw wool factory.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with their yarn selection. They had quite a bit of Noro, some Canadian brands I didn't recognize and a small assortment of Berrocco, Elsebeth Lavold, stuff like that. However, they had a HECK of a lot of this stuff.

I think this is roving. Is that what wool is called when it's ready to be spun? I should probably know this but I'm a knitter not a spinner. This is 100 grams of, and I have no idea what this means, Colonial Top Corriedale. Hand dyed by Sun Bench Fibres in beautiful Chilliwack, B.C.. Did I mention I don't spin? No siree, I don't. This is for Dave, the delightful owner of Cabin Cove Mercantile. I thought maybe he would like a break from the ol' dye pot. The colors are much more brilliant than they appear in my horrible picture but you get the idea. Honest to God, they have garbage bags of roving lying everywhere. If I was a spinner I'd be in heaven.

I heart fish 'n chips. If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be fish 'n chips. Seriously. I love them more than CAKE. And woe is me, my Mom's apartment is five minutes from Pajo's. Which serves the best fish 'n chips on the West Coast. Trust me, this is something I'm an expert in. For $9.79 (GST not included) you can get the world's largest portion of cod and chips. I've eaten there four times in the last ten days. I now weigh 400 pounds.

And for all you boat lovers, and you know you're out there, here is another shot of my neighbourhood. My Mom lives south of Vancouver on Lulu Island (hey Dave, they named an island after your kitty!). The name of the city she lives in is Richmond, the area is known as Steveston. Steveston originally began as a small fishing village, located right on the Fraser River. Up until about 6 years ago, one of the largest canneries on the West Coast was in Steveston. On days when the wind was blowing the wrong way Richmond was one stinky place. The cannery was where most of the guys in high school got summer jobs. But by and large the cannery was staffed by Japanese Canadians. Which is why, when you're driving around Steveston, you'll come across the most elaborately beautiful gardens in people's front yards. I'll take some pictures - you'll see what I mean.

And finally, a very big thank you to all the wonderful people who have left supportive comments on my blog and written to me. This is no fun at all. One would think that God would make it just as joyful to leave this world as it is to come into it. He didn't. I'm going to speak to him about that.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    OMG, beautiful roving and fried food...I'm a little dizzy right now.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, that's where you're moving to? And it's near the water? And there are boats? And fish 'n' chips? And roving? And how does one become a Canadian citizen?

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Dave is cracking me up right now.

    Hang in there, April! Goodies will be on their way soon.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Oh, I'm with you on the fish and chips. And I swear, comfort food may not cure heartbreak and major nastiness, but it definitely assists with the little grumpies that go along with major nastiness.

    I'll take a bite if you're not going to finish that...

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Wow, I was finally able to get in and leave a comment! I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. Really, I am. But the pictures look beautiful! I miss being near the coast (having grown up in Miami).

    BTW, I have something I want to send you. Should I send to your CA address, or is there another address? You can email me with the answer...

    Renee

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger soapy said…

    Yes and Beautifully dyed roving!!! and pictures too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home