The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

You Thought I Was Kidding?

Apparently there will be a lot more blogging done this year by a lot of knit bloggers. The latest bandwagon to roll into Yarn Town seems to be the Blog 365 project wherein you blog every day for a year. I fully intended to jump on that bandwagon. Hmm. I'm not off to a very good start. I seem to have missed the first day. However, that was only one of the 6,259 resolutions I have for 2008. This is one of them.

Really. I wasn't kidding. I bought this book about 3 years ago in the hopes that if I learned to speak Spanish I'd actually get what I wanted at Wendy's. Alas, I don't think I even cracked the cover. But after the New Year's Eve flat tire debacle I've decided it's time I learned to communicate with a large portion of the population of California.

Es el raton.

Impressive, si? I just said, IN SPANISH, "It is the mouse." I imagine it's only a matter of days before I'm offered a position at the UN as a translator. Especially given the fact that my Spanish textbook was co-authored by the venerable Senora Ruth Silverstein. If that name doesn't conjure up images of the Aztec ruins, well frankly I don't know what will.

And now here's another New Year's resolution! "Under no circumstance, do we attempt to learn a new knitting technique at 10pm after a *few* glasses of wine."

Why I had such a burning desire to learn how to do toe up socks at 10pm last night is beyond me. I think it was the yarn. I was stash diving and came across this lovely skein of Claudia's Handpaint in the "Purple Earth" colorway that I bought about a year ago. It's a sport weight with only 225 friggin' yards. And I want a pair of socks from it! But I don't want to buy another skein because the one skein cost me $23.00. Ergo, the need for toe ups. I still don't know if I'll have enough yarn. But I do know that it's most foolish to expect socks done toe up to look the same as socks down top down when you start them. Let us not speak of how many times I frogged this sock before the Clue Phone finally rang. Soy estupido.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger RC said…

    still cracking me up...
    which tutorial are you using for the toe ups? need help? I can email you through a toe up and send pics lmk

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Usted no es tonto. El hilo de la culpa por ser tan bonita.

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    And burrito to you, too! Muy bonito socko, Aprillo! Very muy!!!!!!!

    Cut me some slack. Everyone here always spoke French...

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger mehitabel said…

    No soy estupida--y puede apprendir espanol. My college Spanish is totally useless when it comes to communicating with the native Spanish-speakers, unless they also speak English. Something about "slang" and "local dialects" which is also why my Canuck French didn't go over too well in France. Or my American English in England... Just remember: esta mujer, usar "a" y no "o."

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Girl. So glad you are back posting up a storm -- and in full form, too...

    Me gusto el Weaving Inn!

    Año de bueno, chica. Pues necesitamos un buen año.

    Don't you hate that we're all commenting in Spanish now? heh heh

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    I loved yesterday's story. I totally flashed back to my own lingua comedia experience with someone asking me for, it turned out, a step-ladder. Only I had no excuse because in high school I took Spanish for so long I was fluent enough to understand native speakers at their normal rate of speech and think in the language. My last year I had Spanish first thing in the morning, and for the following two class periods I would translate the English the teacher used into Spanish in my head, come up with the answer in Spanish, translate back to English and tell the history teacher who did what when.

    Now I can say hello and count to 99 (shoot, you'd think I could remember 100 wouldn't you but I'm drawing a blank) but not much past that. I've been saying for a while now that I need to re-learn my Spanish. Maybe we should form a Language-A-Long.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home