The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not A Resolution

Apparently posting to my blog on a regular basis was NOT one of my New Year's resolutions. Sigh. And yet I expect everyone else to post to their blogs on a regular basis. This may be why I'm "relationship challenged." Ya think?

OK, so even though there hasn't been any blogging, there has been knitting. Really.



These are almost done - a pair of "Fetching" fingerless gloves from Knitty. I just need to take out the lovely orange yarn and knit a couple thumbs. But I want to use a circular needle to do that and alas, no US 5 circular needles in the house. Back burner until payday. I used Knit Picks "Andean Treasure" (100% Baby Alpaca) in Wild Rose and I'm quite enamored of this yarn. They're for a friend at the barn to wear while she mucks out stalls. Doesn't everyone wear baby alpaca while they're scooping manure?


Here we have the Forest Canopy Shawl, version 3. This does not mean I have done three of these. It means this is the third attempt. I love this pattern. I do. I think everyone should make a Forest Canopy Shawl. And I hope to God you all find yarn that works from the get go. The first yarn I tried would not cooperate. It clearly wanted to be knit into something else.

The second yarn was ... well ... can we all just agree that no one does denial like me? Especially when it comes to yarn? I cast on this particular yarn (which will not be named or photographed) thinking, "Aha, the *perfect* yarn." The colors were reminiscent of a forest and there was actually enough of it in my stash. And as I was knitting I ignored the voice in my head that suggested that perhaps this yarn was too fine, that maybe the fabric even before blocking was looking a little airy. I managed to bypass the fact that sometimes a wildly variegated yarn is not suitable for a lacy project. But finally I had to accept the most blatant fact of all - that no one in their right bloody mind would ever wear a shawl knit from brown, purple, yellow and green yarn. The horror.

So here we have boring hunter green. In Alpaca With A Twist's "Baby Twist." It does have excellent stitch definition however and is softer than soft. Let's all hope third time's a charm.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you're alive and well April. I hadn't seen you around for a bit and was wondering. You're being very productive though! Love your take on Fetching. I'm so going to make those. And I LOVE forest green.....good work!

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well! It's about time you showed your face around blogland. At least you've been knitting, which is more than I can say about myself. Nice Fetchings.
    And I think the term is "Fear of commitment" or "commitmentphobe".

     
  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Looking very good there.

    Um, baby alpaca for shoveling sh*t?

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the mitts; such a pretty color! Can't imagine shoveling shit while wearing them.

    I don't think the hunter green is boring at all; I think it'll make a beautiful shawl!

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm feeling good about attempt #3!! What could possibly go wrong, after all?

    Fetching is looking great. I think they will be quite the barn fashion statement!

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to say, I love the Baby Twist, too, but I have to admit to some bias, as my sweetie's the designer. I used it as a lining for a pair of mittens I made myself last year and so love them - soft, soft, soft.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home