The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Resistance Is Futile

So much for the best of intentions. I posted yesterday about how much I wanted to do the Nine Patch afghan but I had too many WIPs on the go. Did I fool any of you? Maybe one person? Not even?

Well I'm NOT doing the Nine Patch afghan; I'm *using up my stash.* Which is a very thrifty thing to do and honorable and noble. I'm not taking on another project, I'm being financially responsible. And furthermore, the little squares which make up the blocks have a cross in the center (sort of). Is it not Easter? The season of the cross? GOD WANTS ME TO MAKE THIS AFGHAN. Yes, once again God is speaking to me through the fine art of crochet and verily I say unto you, to ignore this message would be a sin.

Back to the little squares (with the sorta crosses in them). I don't care for them much. Oh no wait, I need to tell you which colors the blocks will be. I am using Simply Soft in Off White and Violet. Here's what Violet looks like. And I think I might use Sage as well.

OK, back to the squares. I made up six of them last night, whipstitched them together ... Oh did I also mention that my whipstitching needs work so not only will I be fulfilling a religious dictate by doing this afghan it will also be an educational undertaking? That too, is an honorable thing. So the squares are all whipstitched together and the kindest word to describe them is lopsided. I do a granny square consisting of two rounds and it's lopsided. How the heck does that happen? And let me tell you, if I'm going to make 3,638,295 of these squares they better be looking good. Out comes my copy of ...

Hmm ... this is supposed to be a picture of "200 Crocheted Squares." But instead we have a picture of Nina who's available for adoption through the Pacific Siamese Rescue. This bloggin' stuff ... so confusing.

Back to the 'ghan. There's no hard and fast rule about what pattern these squares need to be so I'll just pick one I like. I choose "Textured Bluebells." I figure any square with the name of a flower is guaranteed to be beautiful because all flowers are beautiful, right? And did I not post just a few days ago a picture of bluebells? Is this afghan preordained or what? I stayed up until midnight last night working the first square. And it turned out very nicely. And large. 7 1/2" X 8". Which means that each Nine Patch would meaure out at ... 22.5" X 24". That's not a patch, that's a blanket in itself.

99 Granny Squares to the rescue! I'm sure there will be a square in here that will be appropriately sized. There's a heck of a lot of nice squares in this book. If you don't already own it and you like Granny Squares, I would suggest you buy it. Actually this would be a good "Made In Canada" contest prize, wouldn't it? Not my copy of course, but a new copy. Ladies, do you see how all of this is coming together ?!?!

This afghan was meant. to. be.

Oh, please to note my new button that KnicKnac over at the 'Ville made just for ME! Thanks KnicKnac!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    I absolutely love that 99 granny square book! I also love the 200 blcoks book. I just love books in general, and I've been known to purchase a crochet book and not even make anything from it.

    But I figure I'm supporting some struggling writer's dreams, and that's a good thing, too, isn't it?

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    as a citizen of the planet earth it is your humanitarian duty to support each and every person who lives on this planet. this is not limited to but includes yarn manufacturers, writers, yarn store owners, and chocolate makers. the sooner the better. GO NOW.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww! What a cute button!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home