The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Bad Mojo

It all started on Friday evening when I purchased this fine Leisure Arts publication.

I had seen a Terry Kimbrough afghan over on the Show and Tell forum at the 'Ville and fell in love with it. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was the same one that's on the cover of this booklet. Anyways, how hard could it be to make one of these I thought to myself? As I picked it up I managed to ignore the little voice in my head which kept repeating, "You have too many projects, too many projects ..." Oddly enough, that voice almost sounds like Kerry's. But I digress.

I scooped up 3 balls of Bernat Softee baby along with the booklet, again ignoring the voice in my head that kept repeating, "You have too much yarn, too much yarn" and handed over my money to the nice lady at Michael's. This would make an excellent project to do while Cindy drove us to Capitola the next day. It turned out that there were a few "unknowns" with this plan.

Highway 17 to Capitola is a very twisty highway. Normally people drive it with a certain amount of caution and appropriate speed. And then there's Cindy. Who was apparently attempting to set some sort of land speed record that day. Second, it would appear that to successfully complete a Terry Kimbrough afghan you need to be locked into a room where there is virtually no noise or other distractions. I think you also need to have a degree in advanced mathematics but that could just be me.

So ... here we have Cindy hurtling over the Santa Cruz mountains and me rolling from one side of the back seat to the other, trying to read pattern instructions written in Sanskrit. Read pattern instructions? Heck, it was all I could do not to stab myself in the eye with my crochet hook. This was a BAD idea.

The next day I came to the realization that maybe a Terry Kimbrough afghan might be a bit advanced for my skills. Granny Squares! I'll do some Granny Squares and it'll be fun and I'll whipstitch them all together and ta da! .. a new blanket for Project Linus. I made four squares. All in different sizes. This was a BAD idea.

Today was a holiday for me. A good time to start working on my Summer Scarf Swap project. I changed my mind and bought Takhi Cotton Classic instead of Rowan Cotton Rope simply because the yardage was better. Oh OK and it was cheaper. Geez. Six words. You. get. what. you. pay. for. This was a BAD idea.

Another BAD idea.

Here we see an example of an imbalance between dry ingredients and liquid ingredients. Also known as the Lake 'O Chocolate Chip Cookies. Have I ever baked before? Yes. Have I ever had this happen with chocolate chip cookies before? Just that one time in Mrs. Pinfold's grade 8 Home Ec class when I read "1 cup butter" as "1 pound butter." Never smoke drugs before Home Ec. Well never smoke drugs period but especially not before Home Ec class. Trust me, straight or high, cleaning an oven filled with melted cookie dough is no fun.

A GOOD idea

So I'm going back to the tried and true. I'll spend the next couple of days working on my Simply Soft Simple Shawl. I'm pretty sure I can still manage that. Oh Lord, what size hook was I using ....

2 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger none said…

    I like Takhi Cotton Classic, what were you using it for? I have made chocolate chip cookies like that and it was usually from melting the butter in the microwave first, instead of softening the butter. I know of the stretch of highway you are talking about, ha ha.

    Maybe this next week will be better for you. :)

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger April said…

    hi wendy,

    i'm using the Takhi Cotton Classic for a scarf. i'm just not a real big fan of 100% cotton, i like it to have a little something else to add some give to it. back to the store tomorrow for the rowan cotton rope. thanks for posting. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home