The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It Seemed Like A Good Idea

I've been looking around for something a little more challenging than fingerless mitts. I thought the project above would fit that description. This is the CITY-Stole from Vera Kaltenecker. It's kinda cool, eh? It's also 14 pages of charts. With lotsa little symbols. It calls for a fingering weight yarn but we didn't have the color I wanted at the store so I decided to go with Blue Sky Alpaca's "Alpaca Silk" which is a sportweight. In a nice shade of grey. I've done 11 rows and IT'S NOT WORKING.

I need a yarn that's substantially ethereal. The Alpaca Silk, as lovely a yarn as it is, is looking far too bulky. I figure if I'm going to be knitting my personal version of Michelangelo's "Sistine Chapel" it better be perfect. So now I have seven hanks of Alpaca Silk. And I'm thinking ...

This the Luna Moth Shawl, which is a free pattern from Elann.com. This chart has a lot fewer symbols. And it's only one page. It does have a nasty provisional cast on but did I mention it has fewer pages? Moths are grey, right?

8 Comments:

  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Pretty pattern but I still don't understand a knitter wanting anything to do with a moth.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    We love the provisional cast on. Love!

    How many yards do you have? Cause I'm thinking sweater. A cute springy sweater you could wear and show off.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Yup. Moths are grey. And flat. Because I squish them.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ¿Math? Knitting is ALL about math.
    That's ONE of the reasons I love to
    knit.

    xoxo
    Agatha's Gran

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Agatha's Gran needs glasses. Misread 'moth' for'math.'

    Oops!

    xoox

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very pretty shawl and I prefer triangle shawls to wear, anyway. They stay on my shoulders better when knitting!

    BTW, hi April, I missed seeing you at Stitches West.

    Cindy

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I like the Luna Moth and have considered it myself. So of course I think that's what you should do. It'll save me the trouble of doing it. I can just vicariously enjoy your knitting. ;-)

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    I'd have to say it seems a saner choice to me. And I know from insane. I have Here Be Dragone in my queue as well as at least one more "no two rows alike" shawl. Note that they are still in my queue, not on the needles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home