The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Not So Black And White

It has come to my attention, for reasons that will not be disclosed here, that there seems to be a number of different cookies going by the name "Black And White Cookie". And since I spent the entire weekend working at the House Of Torture so that we could close month end on time AND IT STILL ISN'T DONE, I feel completely justified in posting this at work. So, let us discuss B&W cookies. I present to you exhibit A.

It would appear from my research this afternoon, that this is the version most people would call a B&W cookie. One side chocolate, one side ... uh ... vanilla? This was confirmed by a trip to The Black And White Cookie Blog. It seems that the author of this blog only taste tests this particular variety. However, in California, or at least at the bakery around the corner from work ...

... this is a Black & White Cookie. A chocolate cookie with chunks of white chocolate. In the interest of science I had this particular variety today. It was tasty. Very tasty, in fact. Just to make matters worse, this bakery will actually send you e-mail alerts when they're ready to take another batch out of the oven. How anyone is supposed to lose any weight with that kind of conspiracy going on is beyond me. However, I digress.

So dear readers (all two of you), please enlighten me. Which is the definitive B&W cookie? Is it Exhibit A or B? Have you tried both? If not, I feel that it is necessary that you go out and try either one or both and report back here.

File your report in the comments and I will once again attempt to give away stuff. Cookie reports will be due by Saturday, 6pm PST. Prizes will follow. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

18 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aren't oreos considered 'black and white'
    cookies?

    In the very old days, when I was a
    Girl Scout, we had boxes of cookies that had
    one side chocolate and one side vanilla with filling in the middle. Aren't those considered
    'black and white' cookies?

    By the way, it is Girl Scout cookie season, and I know how much a fully devoured box of GS cookies weighs.

    Agatha's Gran

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Don't look at me. I eat Snickerdoodles.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    What's a snickerdoodle?

    Did you see this?

    I think the half black/half white cookie is an east coast thingy because I have never seen it out here on the west coast.

    I also think the cookies you got from that bakery are some kind of trendy new-agey sort of cookies. I mean it's not like white chocolate is really chocolate, ya know.

    Lastly, I am shocked that people even buy cookies when they are so easy to make at home.

    Where's my yarn?

    /runs

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Faren said…

    I've tasted the last kind, but they weren't called black and white cookies, just chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I had never heard of a black and white cookie before I moved to Boston. I'm also thinking it's an East coast thing - and I have only heard the top cookies (1/2 and 1/2) being called "Black & White"s. I've had a couple and they're pretty decent. It's not actually a cookie, or at least I wouldn't say it was. It's more like a cake with two different kinds of frosting.

    As for the second impostor cookie... ;)

    I have never heard those called black and white cookies, but I have eaten them before if they're what I think they are - chocolate cookies with white chocolate chunks? Those are yummy!

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger katrynka said…

    I live on the east coast. And to me, the first ones are the classic black and white cookies. But I like the second ones better!! Especially when still soft and a little gooey!

     
  • At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Will the real Black & White cookie please stand up." Am I dating myself?

    Anyway, exhibit A should stand up, because those are the real B&W cookies. Although, I think Exhibit B tastes much better.

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Yup, the top photo is the *real* black & white cookie. Sadly, I can't go out & try both, thanks to the diet, but I've had them in the past, and yeah, they're yummy. A rose by any other name, ya know...

    Btw, can I just say how much I love it that you're blogging so much lately? You're one of my favourite reads. :-)

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always thought black and white cookies were made from rolled/chilled dough that were half chocolate flavoured (cocoa) and the other half left plain. But I would gladly call the first picture true black and white cookies just because of the chocolate.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I don't eat them but I know those who do (including a certain Sheep). Exhibit A is the definitive B&W cookie.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger naiadkitty said…

    I'm from the midwest, and have never heard of a black & white cookie. But now I'll have to try both in order to see which reigns supreme! Thank you ;)

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    A. A is the Black And White Cookie. No doubt in my mind. The Sheep has spoken.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    I can't believe I managed to spend 4 years in college in Massachusetts without ever knowing about black and white cookies. Possibly it is a secret that is not shared with interlopers (you know - anyone whose family hasn't lived there for at least three generations)? I am no help on the definition front. Sorry.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger RC said…

    I'm near Lancaster Co in Pa where many Amish reside and the first cookies- 1/2 black 1/2 white are the traditional black & white cookie. The real deal.

    BUT I like the 2nd ones better.

    The bakery sends you email alerts?? Holy Crap I'd be in trouble!

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    why can't we all just get along.. black cookies, white cookies, black and white cookies of all lineages, heck even chocolate chip and snickerdoodles have a place.
    what bakery sends email alerts? tell me!
    lucylou
    ps i also believe you lost a bet to me at stitches..

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the Cali version of cookies. And I want to know where the bakery is that sends email alerts! I am so there....

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Wasn't there a Seinfield episode about black and white cookies?

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Blogger Chrispy said…

    The camo yarn has drawn me to comment. My brother in law is always asking for non striping camo colored socks.

    I personally would say the exhibit A would be the correct B&W cookie. the other is just a fancy chocolate chip cookie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home