The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Codeine And Crochet

So I was sitting on the couch today, watching The Girl In The Cafe and working on my third mitered square and I thought to myself, "I've never liked stripes. And I still don't."

So why am I knitting a blanket of mitered squares with stripes? Why did I buy 8,923,659 balls of Rowan Pure Wool DK to knit a blanket I don't even want? I don't know. I'm not even crazy about the colors I picked. I mean, it's one thing to buy a single skein of sock yarn and take it home and go feh ... but this was an undertaking of monumental proportion! I even photocopied the instructions out of my Mason Dixon Knitting book and had them LAMINATED. LAMINATED. When you laminate something, that's a commmitment. But now .. the love is gone. Yet the yarn remains. Hmm, let's move along. More codeine, anyone?

I've managed to finish the first of my New Year's Day Socks. Of course, I've kind of missed the deadline and all but whatever. I love this colorway of Colinette Jitterbug a lot more than that horrid pink number I did in November. This isn't a true represenation of the actual color but it does show the pattern rather well. Or maybe that's the codeine talking.

This little number here will be forever known as "The Pnuemonia Scarf." It's pretty much all I've worked on while I've been sick. Being the arrogant knitter that I am I figured "Deathly ill, must do crochet, crochet is easy." Ha, this scarf has kicked my ass six ways to Sunday. Of course it didn't help that Interweave Crochet, in it's infinite wisdom, left an entire line out of the pattern that sets the whole thing up. Which for a while left me crocheting a circular scarf. Not good. But I think we're on the right track now. Hopefully. Anything's possible these days.

And last but not least, allow me to introduce you to Eoin. I got Eoin from Susan's Etsy shop. He's from Galway and is a master chef. But really all he does know is keep me company when I'm on the computer. You should check Susan's shop out, she's a VERY talented lady. OK, time for more pills, night all.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the pneumonia scarf! The sock's not bad either.

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Laminated - must've been the pneumonia or the codeine - what else would make you start a striped project.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    Better healing through pharmaceuticals!

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I knit socks when I had my really bad pneumonia. I forgot to adjust for where to start grafting the toe. Sideways sock. Not good...

    Lamination is forever. I am not so good with commitment. I'm scared of all things encased in plastic, I think.

    Keep healing! We need you well. The BFK sends all kinds of snuggles 'n head-bonks because she honestly thinks this is helpful. And it kind of is!

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Crap, I totally checked out of blogs for a while and missed that you were/are sick. I'm so sorry! I hope you get well soon! The only reason I'm reading blogs now instead of driving to a business meeting in Arizona is that I am in bed with influenza. Let me tell you, Tamiflu is not as much fun as codeine. But, obviously not as expensive either, since it made you buy silly yarn for a silly project.... so I can still feel superior. Right? (cough, cough, cough, okay maybe not so much)

    Get well soon... hugs from afar from your otherly-germy friend!

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    oh hell, and now I've got the old Hair song "Masturbation" running through my head with the words "Lamination.. can be fun.."

    That is so not family-friendly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home