The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, March 10, 2008

I Didn't Expect To

Allow me to preface this post by stating that a) I realize that there are some people who can stick to a budget when it comes to yarn, b) not everyone works in a yarn store where they get a lovely discount and c) some people live 300 hundred miles from their closest yarn store. That being said, I must go against the grain and state that I am not so crazy about KnitPicks yarn.

Sure, you can't beat their prices. They've got a wide range of products. Some of their lines have a really fantastic selection of colors. And yet ... sometimes the quality is feh. Palette, their fingering weight? Unbelievable color range. And great if you need something to use as a substitute for string. Wool Of The Andes? Very useful if you're into torturing your children with uber scratchy sweaters.

However, all is not lost at KnitPicks.

This is "Gloss", their fingering weight created from 70% merino and 30% silk. 220 yards and only $3.99 a hank. Very nice stuff. I had it sitting in the stash for some unknown reason and needed something for fingerless mitts for a Ravelry swap. I'm making Anne Hanson's Fine Cabled Mitts and my swapee likes jewel tones. KnitPicks promotes this yarn as a sock yarn but it's not that tightly spun which makes me wonder how long it would last on the feetsies. But as mitts or a lace shawl? I don't think you can go wrong.

And you people who can stay on a budget when it comes to yarn ... whoa.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I have such a love/hate thing with those people. You're right, some of their yarns are nice, but some are scary bad. Their shipping sucks and their customer service is hit and miss at the best of times.

    Will we get to see the mitts?

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger aija said…

    My gloss socks didn't last... my fault for throwing them in the wash! :)

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh my...that is lovely! Let me just go check the "budget..."

     
  • At 1:05 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    well we don't get their stuff here anyhoo cos they won't ship to Aus - boo hiss -
    with the exception of the KP Options which are being distributed here but at double - DOUBLE - the US price.
    I was lucky and scored mine own sweet self a set at wholesale price, meaning I paid roughly US price.
    and I really like both the Chalice and the Cable Mitt patterns.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home