The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Attempt # 6

I like to knit. I've been knitting for a few years and I can generally tell a knit stitch from a purl stitch. On a good day I can even count rows. I've got a few balls of yarn and some needles. Pattern books too. So, although I try not to flatter myself, you could probably call me "a knitter." However, it would appear I am not a good knitter of "things for other people."

This may have something to do with the fact that I'm a bit anal. My motto, "Perfection Is Acceptable", may annoy my co-workers but it does result in some nicely turned out knitted items. This is compounded by my slightly competitive streak. Which is why, maybe, I'm not so good with this whole swap thing. Because a) my fingerless mitts must be PERFECT and b) they must be better than all the other fingerless mitts being made for the swap. It is essential that when my swap partner opens her package from me that she should be heard to proclaim, "These are the most perfect fingerless mitts in the entire universe and I am the luckiest person in the swap." Not so much to ask for, eh? And thus begins Attempt #6 at a pair of fingerless mitts.

Which wouldn't be so bad if I was just changing the yarn OR the pattern. But no. As each attempt fails, a new pattern and new yarn must be procured. The act of creating a pair of fingerless mitts has taken over my life.

The latest attempt - Chalice Cable Handwarmers. This is a very cool pattern in that at one point you're actually using 2 cable needles to create a cable within a cable. How's that for an exciting party trick, huh? That'll impress the folks at Christmas, no doubt about it. And the yarn of the day is -

Filatura di Crosa's "Zara". This isn't the color I'm using though, this is.

Color # 1746 or Deep Teal. This is a delightful DK yarn, 100% merino wool and machine washable. What one might call a workhorse yarn. No bells, no whistles, just great yarn. It averages about $9.00 per ball and you get 137 yards. So let's all hope the sixth time is the charm for the ol' fingerless mitts. And if you're looking for me later, I'll be burning skeins of Red Heart as an offering to the Yarn Gods.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Wouldn't that be melting some Red Heart?? ;o)

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I think Trek is right. ;^)

    I feel ya. Although, I think changing yarn/pattern is letting the yarn/pattern win, but that may be my petty side showing.

    Oh, and the Yarn Gods like the good stuff. Just sayin'...

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    The only thing I'm perfect at is imperfection. It's sort of sad, really. The world needs people like you to balance out the people like me...

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i've found that leaving offerings for the yarn goddess is a quicker way to get results. preferably sweet things and alcohol.
    try this leave your knitting that is being cranky out with a glass of red wine and chocolate and see what happens. if yarn goddess doesn't shop up you've got wine and chocolate and i find that takes care of any lingering perfectionism.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I were to open the package with those fingerless mittens in that pattern, color and type of yarn I would say "The yarn goddess has blessed me."

    xoxo
    Agatha's Gran

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    That's certainly a lovely pattern in a lovely color. I hope that the 6th time is the charm.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Alwen said…

    Hoo boy will acrylic burn! It's made of petrochemicals.

    If you do a burn test for a yarn you suspect has acrylic content, don't hold the yarn with your fingers -- use a tongs. The flame will chase right up the fiber. If you blow it out, you get a hard bead of ash.

    (Fire bug, who, me?)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home