The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Welcome To Snot Island

Care for a Kleenex? Some steroids? An inhaler? How about some antiobiotics followed by a codeine cough syrup chaser? You name it, we got it goin' on here at Mucous Production Central. Apparently someone in this apartment has pnuemonia. And it's not DeeDee, Andy, Wilma or Clover. Blerg.

I went to see the doctor on Monday because I had been getting progressively worse over the weekend. Couldn't breathe, had no energy (I think that may be related to the breathing thing), no appetite, blah, blah, blah. They gave me a breathing treatment and instead of being a normal person and feeling better I went into respiratory distress. Fortunately the hospital was right across the street so some poor soul from the doctor's office WHEELED ME ACROSS THE STREET IN A WHEELCHAIR.

Now I am not an overly vain person. I regularly embarrass myself and find great humor in it. However, this had to be one of the most mortifying experiences of my life. Not to mention it's freakin' hard to text message the office on your cell phone to tell them you won't be back that day when you're being rolled down a bumpy sidewalk. I also seem to recall apologizing for being so fat to the kind person who was wheeling me over. It's all a bit of a blur now.

Unbeknownst to me though, was the fact that everyone in Silicon Valley is sick now. So it was pretty busy. And apparently it doesn't matter if you're imitating a whooping crane and your pulse rate is soaring through the roof you still need to "take a seat at the back." Six hours later I had a handful of prescriptions and a overwhelming desire to just go home. Just how sick was I? During the entire six hours of waiting I did not knit a single STITCH. There, whatta ya think about that, eh? I could probably have knit a scarf at least. Yeah. Sick.

So I'm off work until Friday and it's month-end and I'm an accountant and I'll be in deep doo doo when I get back. To take our minds off that fact let's look at some yarn.

This is from a new yarn store in San Jose called The Bobbin's Nest. Actually it's a yarn / fabric store with a kind of English Victorian feel to it. Mostly Rowan and Karabella yarns, they have a rockin' supply of books and kits. This yarn is from the Sheep Shop Yarn Company and was made in Uruguay. 100 gram hank with 130 yards of worsted weight loveliness. Fingerless mitts, anyone?

And I am still involved in a love affair with Rowan Pure Wool DK.

Or would this up that to "obsession"? Well, whatever. I seem to have gotten it into my little brain that I need to knit a BLANKET. A Mason Dixon Mitered Square Blanket, no less. I have 2 1/2 squares made, I need 80. Hopefully it'll be done by the next time I get wheeled somewhere in a bloody WHEELCHAIR so I can wrap it around my bony knees and go for the Complete Invalid effect.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Damn girl! You are always having some kind of adventure. Please stop now... and take care of yourself. And feel better!

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Hide!! Lock yourself inside and do not come in contact with anyone. Protect yourself from any more flying infectious disease.

    Sorry about the phlegm and sputum and general all around yuckiness!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Saren Johnson said…

    Poor thing. I hate being that sick. (Too sick to knit.) Work is always there, and will always be there. Don't worry about work, worry about getting better.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Monkee Maker said…

    Only you could blog about being really ill AND NEARLY DYING and make it really really funny.

    Sorry.

    :)

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    You poor thing! I know that feeling of doom from not being at work when you feel you need to. But please try to let it go and just get better. I suspect strongly you'll get better faster that way. I hope you feel better really quickly.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh no! You are sick. Very, very sick. I get pneumonia all the time now and I never get to ride in a wheelchair! This is how I know you are very, very sick.

    Rest up. You're gonna be tired for a loooong time, I'm afraid.

     
  • At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too sick to knit - that's really sick! I hope you're feeling better real soon.

    I would have loved to see you being wheeled to the hospital; too funny. Ooops, sorry; that wasn't very nice :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home