The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Republic Of Limbo

Who's excited about moving back to Canada?

Me!

But Lordy, this being in limbo is the suck. I'm sitting here trying to figure out whether I'll burn in hell if I just don't go back altogether. Which means I would somehow need to figure out how to pack my apartment and fly my cats up here without actually being there. Because Mom isn't doing too good today and I'm scared to leave her. She has tumours in her stomach and in one of her lungs and the stomach one was causing her serious pain this morning. I had to run and get the nurse so Mom could have a little more of that there morphine type stuff. My Mom is the kind of person who will never complain to strangers if she's not feeling well. But she'll tell me.

OK, so I can't make this decision on my own. So let's have a poll. In return I'll send you either a) roving, b) real Canadian sock yarn or c) fish 'n chips. Actually I'll send a prize to everyone who votes. Here's what you're voting on:

a) April should stay in Canada with her Mom and look after her. And somehow figure out how to move an apartment and three cats without her physical presence.

b) April should do the professionally responsible thing and go back to California and give the standard 2 weeks notice. Even though it's highly possible Mom might not be around in two weeks.

Those are your two choices. Because frankly, I have no idea what to do.

Moving on ...

It's a baby blanket. Or it will be after I finish another 32 rows or so and do the six rows of edging which has ribbon woven through it. I started it last Friday and have lost track of how many rows I've had to frog. Little concentration problem goin' on here. My Mom said to me yesterday, "How come in crochet you have to keep taking the rows out?" She's a real kidder, that Mom of mine.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you can't fly back just to get the kities and pack up what you can and move stuff into storage without giving your 2 weeks notice? Can you go on FMLA leave? I don't know how big the company is that you work for, but if it is atleast 100 people you should be able to take time off work to go care for your mom. I live almost 2 hours from the bay area. If you need my assistance, let me know.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I think there might be some middle ground, here. You can't leave your mum. She needs you, at least for the time being. Can you give your notice by phone or email and worry about the cats etc. when your mum is a bit more stable? You may be making a few back 'n forth trips for a while here. I think it is going to be a complicated time, no matter how you handle it, but if you take it all day by day and step by step it will be manageable. Hang in!

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    This is why you have loving friends.
    You stay in Canada, resign by phone and or fax, they will understand.
    Whoever is furbaby sitting can pack them up and put them on a plane for you to meet upon arrival.
    Your friends will pack up your appt.
    Stay with your mom, she needs you and you need to be with her.
    A big hug for you and mom.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Were it me, I think I'd stay with my mom for a few more weeks and leave my home and pets in the hands of whomever is currently there; then evaluate whether or not you can go get away, or not.

    I don't think this poll is going to help. You now have at least four new ideas :-)

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, what a dilemma, which I can relate to, in a way. My mom is in a care facility and has been for many years. I was the one who stayed behind, took care of her and everything else and still am. It is so hard to know what to do in all cases like this but it sounds like you need to think the 'immediate'stay with your mom for now and see how it goes in the next week or two. Sending you a big hugg, got here via Sheep's

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd agree with Valerie and play it by ear. Call your cat sitter and see if they are able to take care of the little ones for a couple of more weeks.
    Then, call the office and see about a leave of absence, up to a month because of family emergency. (Can you apply unused vacation and sick time or get the FMLA?)
    Stick by your mom as long as oyu can. If her health improves over the next couple of weeks, see how things stand then.
    I hope that helps a bit for perspective. You know we are all here for you in one fashion or another.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    The blanket looks lovely.

    I'd try for family leave if you are uncomfortable with a flat out quit-with-no-notice. The cats could probably be flown to you but would they have to stay in quarrantine? Don't think the fish can make the trip on an airplane.

    As for the apartment, maybe some friends could help you out there? Or just a quick fly-in-fly-out on a weekend?

    Wish I could be more helpful. Sorry.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Sounds to me like you have some great ideas here. I personally would be more concerned about the kitties than the job, because the job is going to understand that you're in an extreme situation (although I like the idea of getting Family Leave if you can, since that can give you some breathing space, so you don't have to make a decision immediately).

    Renee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home