The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Suicidal DPN

Wherever I go, my sock bag goes. And as I was driving home last night I decided to cast on for a new sock. No, I don't knit while driving ... well, not often. But I do knit if I'm at a particularly long light. So as I made my way home I began casting on the 64 stitches I needed for my next project. Since I didn't feel like cooking I decided to stop at KFC and pick up dinner.

It was as I was walking back to my car that I saw it. At first I wasn't sure what I was looking at. I'd been up to the barn at lunch and it looked like a big ol' piece of hay was hanging from my car. But as I got closer I recognized it for what it truly was. A tragedy in the KFC parking lot. For there, hanging between my car door and the rest of the car was my DPN, still encased in 64 stitches of Claudia's Handpainted, colorway Pink Cloud. The tail end was gently swaying in the grease scented air as I surveyed the damage.

Who knows what demons had plagued my little DPN. How can we begin to imagine the pain it must have been in which caused it to leap from the passenger seat of my car and jump just as I closed the door. We can only mourn it's passing and rejoice in it's rebirth as a ... cable needle.

And that was only the beginning of what is becoming a bizarre weekend. There I was, bombing up the expressway today when my forward motion was halted by five or six cars stopped dead in the middle of the street. A group of Canada geese were in the curb lane, looking as though they thought they'd be able to simply saunter across to the other side. Canada geese are not the smartest birds in the world. I can say that because a) I'm Canadian and b) I lived for many years next to a park that was home to these wonderful pooping machines. But I still think they're beautiful and I certainly didn't want any of them getting squashed on the San Tomas Expressway.

So being the crazy Canadian that I am, I manuevered my car around the others and slowly started driving towards the geese, gently honking my horn. My car is brown so it's possible they thought I was simply the Head Goose. Honk, honk, there went one. Honk, honk, there went another. Eventually my Nissan Altima and I had all the geese herded back to the pond that they came from. Carry on everyone, another tragedy averted.

Here is the 923rd attempt at getting a new sock started. This is the Koiguuuuuuuuuu my Other Secret Pal sent me in the Baby Cable Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a little early in the knitting to see the pattern but so far I like it. And I absolutely LOVE this colorway. Love love love it.

Sock Wars. Join now. Do eeet.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I've made cable needles from busted dpns - works great.

    Good job on the geese. We used to get the at the old apartment. Called them the goose poop troop.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alas poor needles, I knew it well.
    II am accumulating a LARGE number of those needles. I'm thinking of "modifying" them into shorter needles for knitting thumbs and fingers. They'd be the right size, no? Seriously. HANG ON TO THEM!

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Abby said…

    Ah, the Canadian to the rescue... Seeing _Make Way for Ducklings_ in real life always makes me smile. It turns out that even just reading about it will make me happy.
    By the way, I love the pattern for your new sock. It will be lovely.

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger soapy said…

    Great CN!! lol I have a couple .. any chance is it a brittany DPN? That has happened to mine 3 times>

     

Post a Comment

<< Home