The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mile-A-Minute Memories

Last year when I decided to teach myself to crochet I came across a leaflet proclaiming that "Even if you've never crocheted before, you can create this beautiful afghan!"

I ask you, where's the "beauty"? Now don't get me wrong, I think the whole concept of MAMs is great. You've got these thin strips you can take with you pretty much everywhere you go. You can join them as you go so that at the end you've got your afghan all ready and waiting for you. And, in the midst of 100 degree heat, I'd far rather have 5 inches of afghan sitting in my lap intead of 36 inches. But this is butt ugly. Notice the attractive swerve (gauge problems, anyone?), the random positioning of holes up the center, how nicely the fans on the opposing sides line up ... Thank God I stopped after 3 strips.

So I was pretty convinced I'd never do another MAM again. Then tonight while I was going through my patterns I came across this.

Don't quote me but I think I bought this to make an afghan for my second cousin. He's almost a year old and lives in the upper reaches of Alberta, Canada where you can always use a blankie. But that's not why I started flipping through this book tonight.

One of my goals this year (besides losing a heck of a lot of weight) is to make a blanket per month for Project Linus. I'm doing much better on the blanket plan than the weight loss plan except for this month's blanket. Which hasn't been started. And it's past the middle of the month. I mean, yes this month was named after me and so I should get cut a LOT of slack but a goal's a goal. Then ... I saw it. An afghan with hearts. I love hearts as much as I love ladybugs. Maybe more.

So after conferring with my stash, it came to my attention that I had more than enough yarn to make this particular afghan. Go figure, eh? This is Simply Soft's "Pink." Nothing like stating the obvious, huh? The pattern is over six rows, you do 14 repeats and then 2 rounds of edging in "Off White." It's like ... 87 rows, 7 strips. I finished the first strip tonight because I kick butt. Or more likely because each row is only 11 stitches. Anyways, I like it, I'm doing it, please hold your applause until it's done.

And finally, for Cindy.

Why are these penguins wearing sweaters? Well read the following excerpt from an article in the Salt Lake City Tribune.

"LDS women (April's note: Also known as Mormons) in New South Wales have undertaken an unusual service project, knitting sweaters for cousins to the loveable stars of the Academy Award-winning documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman.

The smallest breed of penguins, often known as "fairy" penguins, tend to get caught in oil spills off the coast of Australia, which can destroy their natural oils or even kill them. Doll size, tight-fitting wool sweaters can keep the penguins warm during the rehabilitation process, and "stop them preening and ingesting the poisonous oil," according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The sweaters improve penguin survival rate to about 98 percent, the paper reported."

Cindy ... start your needles!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Okay, at first I thought the penguin sweaters was just silly, but when I read they were for rehabbing birds caught in oil spills and it dramatically improves survival rate, well, shoot, that just makes me feel all good inside.

    The pink hearts is cute, no question, but I've decided I'm not a MAM girl (almost typed I'm not a MAN girl, but I have no idea what that means). I've decided I'm more of a squares girl. Actually, I don't even like squares that much. I love the squares themselves, I just hate putting them together. I'm a little ADD that way.

    I think I need some coffee.

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh April, those penquins are so sweet. I never knew there were fairy penquins. I love the picture. Thanks so much, I guess I will have to forgive your disparaging remarks about my driving! I was trying to tone it down for you except for that one curve I couldn't resist. I like hearts, too, but not as much as penquins. I think that MAM will be lovely. And, BTW, that first MAM that you were working on is not bad for a beginner.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    i have no idea what kind of girl i am other than a crochet girl. but then sometimes i'm a knit girl. basically it all boils down to not enough hours in the day. or a body that requires too much sleep.

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger April said…

    cindy,

    you are too kind - that first MAM is a monstrosity. i once knitted a sweater with a penguin on the front. i'll have to see if i can find it for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home