The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday WIP (No Chains)

I realize that building a robot is a complicated thing but I swear, this one is never going to end.

This is supposed to be Dalek (a dalek? Mr. Dalek?) from Dr. Who. I've never seen Dr. Who. I've always wanted to though. But after spending my teenage years at far too many LOUD rock concerts the ears aren't quite what they once were. So if a show doesn't have closed captioning I tend to give it a pass. If they have English accents to boot, well it's not even worth trying.

Although you can't tell from this cell phone picture Mr. Dalek is quite large. He also employs a multitude of different stitches instead of the traditional single crochet only of amigurumi. He has arms as well that aren't showing up. It kind of looks like a baby hat, doesn't it?

My list of people wanting me to make them toys is growing. I was thinking about that this morning and I wonder why people feel comfortable just asking for something simply because I have the skill to do it. I have a friend who's a professional baker. Yet I've never called her up and said, "Hey Jen, got a craving for peanut butter cookies over here, can you whip me up a batch?" Or, "I'd like a chocolate cake, are you busy this weekend?" I probably have a few friends who know how to put up wallpaper. And yet my walls remain bare. It's like as soon as you learn to crochet or knit, you've got a bulls eye on your back. What's up with that?

For more works in progress on this Wednesday, check out Tami's blog WIP Wednesdays. Trust me, there are far more interesting things over there than Mr Dalek The Baby Hat.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    You've never seen Dr. Who?

    /dies of shock

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Mollyandollie said…

    I've never seen it either! My hubby so wants one of those Dr Who scarves. I keep saying NO! Toooo long!

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger pinkundine said…

    You should check out the selfish knitters and crocheters group on ravelry... so many funny stories about people expecting knitted/crocheted items just because you can ;)

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said…

    Ok ladies, I watch Dr Who and it is indeed a Dalek!

    I should also look for that Ravelry group because I am already fed up of being expected to make things for random people (nevermind my husband) and have only been knitting since the start of the year :)

     
  • At 5:09 AM, Blogger Leah said…

    I bet the DVD releases have a subtitle option! You know, in case you need even more people encouraging you to watch. (Dr. Who is pretty much the only thing I watch these days, haha.) The Dalek looks cool so far - can't wait to see the finished version!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Vivianne said…

    Trade. Barter. Toys for cookies seems a great idea :)

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Tami Klockau said…

    I adore Doctor Who. It's my favorite show. :) Can't wait to see the Dalek grow!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I know for a fact that Daleks have no arms, they have an eyestalk, a gunstick and a manipulator (arm) oh well, I suppose they have one arm!! I just knitted another Dalek. I ahve watched Doctor Who since Doctor #2, in the olden days!! Your Dalek is looking good so far!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home