The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thanks FB

I know a lot of people don't like Facebook. I admit I get a little tired myself of all this "Like Us On Facebook!" marketing business blah blah blah. And I can understand when people are cautious about revealing their TRUE IDENTITIES ON THE INNERNETS. Me? I don't give a crap. Steal my social security number PLEASE. Good luck getting a credit card, pal.

However, for people who live 1,200 miles from home, it can be a real godsend. I've reconnected with cousins I haven't spoken to in years. Stumbled across my aunt who I last saw in 1970. And then there's my nephew.

Long time readers of this blog may recall I'm not too friendly with my brother. The last time I spoke to him was in 2006 when my Mom passed away. I knew he had a son out there somewhere but I had no idea where. So one day I entered his name into the Facebook search. I mean really, how many Wynter Monkhouses can there be in this world? And there he was. My 25 year old nephew who I'd never met.

That's him in the picture if you haven't already figured it out. Turns out he lives in Vancouver and makes a living being an extra on movie sets. In the pic he's in his vampire costume, filming Underworld 4. He's also been in Mission Impossible 4, Breaking Dawn (that silly Twilight Movie), and a bunch of others. So thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I get to be sorta famous by association on a very miniscule level. And who knows, maybe one day he'll be really famous and can look after his Aunty April. April and Wynter. What the hell is with the calendar names?

3 Comments:

  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Heh - that's funny - the calendar naming in the family.

    I still hate that social networking site...

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I speak to more relatives now via FB than I ever did in the real world. I think it's rather nifty and I don't even have famous people to claim!

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I am deathly afraid of The Facebook but I am glad you found your calendular nephew!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home