The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Fraught With Peril

You would think that knitting a hat would be a simple affair. Six or seven inches of knitted fabric with a design perhaps. But when you're a world class worrier like I am, the entire process is anxiety inducing.

I decided I wanted to knit chemo caps for a change. So I found a pattern, The Sisters Hat, pulled a ball of yarn out of my stash and went to work. First I worried about the lace. Was lace appropriate for a chemo cap? Would it show too much of the scalp and be embarrassing? Then I worried about the yarn. I'm reasonably sure that it's Stonehedge Farm's Shepherd's Wool which is 100% wool. But most chemo caps seemed to be knit in cotton, or some other non-animal fiber. Would my hat be useless?

Then I worried about washability. Would the person who got the hat be too sick to hand wash it? Then I fretted over the length. Most hat measurements, I'm assuming, are given for people with hair. How much would the lack of hair affect this measurement?

I went back to worrying about yarn content again. I don't like to knit with cotton - did this mean I'd never be able to make chemo caps? EVER? The lace again. If this hat was unsuitable for a chemo cap then I wouldn't be able to send it to the Reservation because a lace hat in the winter is very impractical. Oh my God, was I doing all this work for nothing?

Was the yarn soft enough? We shall not speak of how many times I rubbed this stupid hat on my face to see if it was scratchy. Was my yarn inappropriate for a lace pattern? Huh, wut? Let me tell you, the last four days have been nothing but worry, worry, worry. It's amazing that I actually managed to finish the damn thing. But it's done so I will send it off and hope for the best for my little hat.

At least I managed to finish it right in time for FO Friday. FO Friday is the brainchild of Tami, who I do not know but she seems like a very nice person. Anyhow, what you do is click on the FO Friday linky which takes you to Tami's blog and you can add your blog if you have an FO to post today. Not only is it a great way to show off your handiwork but you can promote your blog. I of course do not need to promote my blog because I already have three readers, all of whom are named Cindy. Shout out to The Cindys!

And that's it for this Good Friday / Earth Day of 2011.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Tami Klockau said…

    Awww, thanks April!!

    Your hat is beautiful and I'm sure it will find a lovely home and whoever gets to wear it will cherish it! There's no reason to worry!

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Gosh! What a lovely hat... I know someone who is about to undergo chemo and am at a bit of a loss as to how I can help but this give me a practical way of doing something.

    Thanks so much xxx

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger nursenikkiknits said…

    Your hat looks very lovely. I suspect someone will wear it with pride,

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    I'm a non Cindy then. lol Been awhile since I've done hats for chemo patients, but do believe most say they shouldn't be wool or lacy. Your hat looks wonderful though, so why not send it to a different charity? I don't like working with cotton either and think I remember lots of folks using nylon for chemo hats?
    Love the color. I made a green hat that looked like hair once for a chemo hat...that one sticks in my mind.

    Sandy

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One of the Cindys here. The finished hat looks lovely having first observed it as a mere blob.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    My dad asked me to knit him a hat for Christmas and the stress almost killed me before the holiday. I actually knit him three because I was so afraid of failure I needed to triple my chances. God help me if he'd requested lace, as unlikely as that might be.

    Yours is lovely, though. Maybe my mom wants a hat now that my blood pressure is back down again...

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger catsmum said…

    see you have a loy more than three readers!
    and the hat is lovely

     

Post a Comment

<< Home