The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, February 04, 2011

Disappointing

After eight years spent in prison for insider trading, Michael Douglas returns as Gordon Gekko. I kinda wish he'd stayed there. I loved Wall Street #1, released back in 1987. In fact, I might go so far as to say it's one of my favorite movies. The character development was outstanding and you got a real feel for what drove each person to do what they did. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps was, for me, like sitting in an accounting class.

Jake Moore (Shia LaBeouf) plays an up and coming Wall Street trader who coincidentally happens to live with Gordon Gekko's estranged daughter, Winnie (a very whiny Carey Mulligan). The film takes place in 2008 just as the financial structure of America takes a sudden dive south. Jake goes to see a lecture given by Gordon and introduces himself as "the man who's going to marry your daughter." And so begins the typical Hollywood drivel.

Will Gordon and Winnie reconcile? Will Gordon steal Jake's soul? Why does Winnie blame Gordon for her brother's suicide? Because he wasn't "around"? What kind of claptrap is that? Why does Jake feel compelled to keep bailing his mother (Susan Sarandon with a very amusing New Jersey accent) out of her many financial difficulties.? Do we care? No, no we do not. Because we're spending waaaay too much time hearing about bank bailouts and things like CDS, CDOS, and other financial terms that mean absolutely nothing to the average film goer. Two stars out of five. Very sad.

In square news, I'm up to 12. Or is it 13? Making 'em all out of Wool-Ease since I have oodles of the stuff. Ooo, ooo, ooo, I got my Wollmeise yesterday! It's in a cellophane bag and I'm too scared to take it out of the bag. Pictures tomorrow because I need to take my little skein outside and photograph it in the sun to do it justice. Exciting!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Rots when you don't give a hoot about the characters in the story...

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I've not seen either Wall Streets. I only like Michael Douglas in The Streets of San Francisco!!!
    Oh Wollmeise!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home