The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Where The Heck Have I Been?

Oh Lordy, I am the worst blogger ever. I can't believe I haven't posted in a week. Where the heck have I been?

Well, first things first. Vive La Victor. Or something like that. When we last visited Chez Insanity there was some concern over Victor's future. As in, "This horse doesn't do what a horse should do, ergo, it needs to go." Yes, that's a little harsh, but basically that was the gist of the whole situation. By and large, everyone was very supportive in regard to the opinion that whatever decision I made was the right decision.

Like hell, I say. I was, as so many people are doing these days, looking for the quick fix. The "I'm not the problem, XYZ is the problem." But Victor, as some of you might have noticed, is a horse. That's all he knows how to be. I, on the other hand, am more or less a human. I can make changes. I can learn things. I have opposable thumbs. Or whatever it is that I have that monkeys have too. Where do I get off proclaiming to the world, "Look, I've saved a horse" three months ago and then decide, "Feh, too much work."

In Victor's very short life, everyone he's ever come in contact with has given up on him when he didn't do what they expected him to do. Do I want to be in the same group as someone who would send a horse to a feedlot to end up as dinner for someone in Europe? Pardon my langugage, fuck no. Jesus, April, give your head a shake.

Enter Pat Parelli's Natural Horsemanship. A way for humans to think like horses and a way for horses to become a little bit more human. Maybe you've heard of Natural Horsemanship if you're into horses, maybe you haven't. But I've decided to invest the time and the money to see where it'll take me and Victor The Wonder Horse. There may be a selling of some stash to finance Victor's Back To School Fund, I haven't decided that yet. I'll talk to Victor and see what he says.

So who wants to see horse pictures? Yay! Me too. I have a new riding instructor who's teaching me on her Morgan. Wonderful, wonderful horses those Morgans. So we went to a Morgan show last weekend. Here's some pics.

Beautiful, no? My instructor, Janet, took this picture which is why the poor person is almost missing their head. But we don't really care, after all we're only interested in the horse. Clickety biggity as always.

Hands down, my favorite event of the day, the Carriage Class. A time when life was much slower and horses were held in higher regard. As they should be.

Something you may not know about the Morgan, they were the favored breed of cavalry soldiers during the Civil War. They have a real "can do" attitude and are capable of living under conditions that would do most horses in.

Far and away, my favorite horse at the show. This is a tri-color Saddlebred. Yeah, he kinda creeped me out too when I first saw him. But when you get over the fact that he has two white eyes, he was beyond stunning. I can't even imagine owning a horse this exquisite. I'm pretty sure he won most of the classes he was in. That's my friend, Kat, to the right. I think she was plotting to steal him.

Knitting content next time. Pinky swear promise.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Netter said…

    I'm not really a horse person, but I'm partial to Morgans. They were bred in Vermont and is still the state horse. In grade school we used to take field trips to Justin Morgan's farm.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Well, that did it. The late nights of carding wool and listening to Harry Potter have probably taken their toll and I am weak. I got all teary-eyed at the thought of Victor finally finding that one person who is right for him. ::sniffle:: It's just like the saga of The Big Fluffy Kitty that lives here at Casa De Sheepie... He's a lucky horse. And horses tend to know these types of things. He will reward you for your loyalty. Of course, horse rewards are not always what we consider "rewards." But that's ok...

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Very creepy eyes.

    Happy lessons!!!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know me nothing about no horse, other than something about good for glue. Just sayin'. (I TOLD you I don't know nuthin'.)
    But, as long as both you and Victor are alright, that's what matters most.
    And what's this about knitting? Who's knitting are you going to show?

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad Victor is staying with you! He's a very lucky horsie :)

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Jeanne said…

    What did Victor say about the stash sale? :-) (So happy you've found PNH)

    Wow, the tri-color horse is quite striking—are his eyes blue, or truly white? I'm partial to blue-eyed horses (of my two horses' four eyes, three are blue). That horse is a beauty. All of them are.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you for keeping Victor!

    Didn't want to say anything before as it's not my business but too many people give up on animals because they don't meet a human's planning/financial/time schedule.

    Victor is very lucky to have a knitter to love him like you do.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    I'm glad Victor is staying,
    we don't need knitting,
    when we get happy Victor news.
    Lindy

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger the Lady said…

    Way to go on taking the route of understanding. My ex's parents rescued horses, and use these better training methods. I think you'll be pleased with the results. After having had a horse myself, I know they can take time, but it is so worth it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home