The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To Ka-Ching Or Not To Ka-Ching?

So. Ahem. My friend, MacKenzie, gets on Victor on Sunday to give him a little exercise and to see how he's coming along with his riding skills.

Together they spend almost the entire time going ... backwards. Around and around the turn-out pen they go. In reverse. Victor doesn't want to go forward, he wants to go backwards. Usually, horses hate to be backed up since they can't see what's behind them. This is obviously not a problem with Victor.

I guess now we know why Victor's racing career wasn't that successful, eh? It's hard to win a race if you're going in the opposite direction from the rest of the horses.

So, knitting fans, we are at a crossroads. What do we do with Victor? The girl who was training him is leaving my barn next week for a new job. This means I would need to send Victor off-site to a trainer. Generally you send your horse for a 30, 60 or 90 day period and the trainer works with him for an hour each day. Your horse also stays there, it's not like "school" where you see them off on the bus each morning and they come back at the end of the day. I've found one trainer who's worked with off track Thoroughbreds before. She offers a discount to any horses that came from the place I got Victor at. A discount of $350. When the discount is that much it makes me frightened to ask what the full price will be.

However, I'd really like a horse I can ride. Now that Victor is fattened up and his feet are good, do we send him back to Thoroughbred Friends in the hopes that someone who can train him will adopt him?

Or do I continue to pay board, buy supplements and put shoes on a very large pet?

Any horsey people out there with any wonderful advice? I hate making decisions like this.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh, man...tough call. As I'm not a horse person, I can't really give any great words of wisdom. But I do know that the decision you make will the best one for Victor. Anything that is done in the best interest of the animal is the right thing. If it means he stays, then he stays. If he needs to live with someone else who will love him and give him what he needs, then that is the best thing.

    Good luck! I hope that there are some horse folk out there who can give you some good direction.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Jeanne said…

    I am a horse person, so I'll jump in. First, let me ask some questions. What is your skill level as far as riding goes? Is this your first horse, or have you had horses in the past? Who will be riding him the most—you, or someone else? Will Victor be competing, or will he be a recreational trail buddy? Think about this, and email me jrberry63 AT woh DOT rr DOT com. From personal experience, I'm not convinced a trainer is the best option and I'd be glad to share with you why I think that and what some better options might be for the two of you. :-)

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Heide said…

    Oh dear, what a horrible decision to have to make. I wish that money were no object and that you could have a trainer there for him. I've no experience with horses and can give no worthy advice. I'd hate to see you and Victor separated after all the work you've been through. Good luck and I hope that one of the others' suggestions might yield something positive. Hugs!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Sucky choice to have to make. Inasmuch as I would like to say "what is best for Victor?" I must first ask "what is best for April's checkbook?". In the long run, what is best for April's checkbook is what is best for Victor because if April can't afford him, he is better off somewhere else.

    Also, for my 2¢, if I couldn't ride him, I couldn't justify boarding him. And it isn't like he is a pet there at your condo - you have to haul some serious yarn balls to see him everyday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home