The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Summer Of ... Booties?

Well I suppose it's a start, anyway.

Iris, one of my co-workers, was blessed with grandson #2 last Thursday. So instead of casting on for my first pair of socks for the Summer Of Socks, I decided to knit booties. Booties are fun! And fast! And don't use much yarn! And so ridiculously adorable it makes your ovaries cramp. However, you'll notice that there is no back picture of the booties. Gang, my finishing skills are the suck. Someone needs a LOT of practice with the finishing. Someone may even need to invest in a book.

The Victor Update

I'm sure you've all been wondering what Victor has been up to. Well I am pleased to report that Victor has begun working with a trainer and he's coming along very well. Sunday we tacked him up with a Western saddle. Now bear in mind that Victor is accustomed to a lightweight jockey saddle, not a 30 pound Western one. I was quite nervous to see how he would react. He obviously knew something was going on but he just stood quietly the entire time.

The trainer then lunged him in the round pen and he didn't buck, kick or try in any way to get the saddle off his back. He listens well and she only had to tell him to do something once and he'd do it.

Yesterday she worked on his ground manners while I was at work and then today we did more of the lunging with the saddle on. Hopefully in about a week she'll be able to get on his back without any mishaps. It's obvious to both of us that ol' Victor's a pretty smart boy and definitely shows some potential. Now if I could only get home before 9:00 one night I'd be able to do a bit of knitting. Horses. Much more work than hamsters.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Yes, much more work than hamsters.

    Congratulations to co-worker Iris with the new baby in the family. Cute booties.

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Good point...hamsters adjust well to saddles and don't need all that training. It's just more dangerous to ride them. For the hamster anyway.

    Love the booties!!! And finishing is overrated, in my opinion.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More work than hamsters? Who'd a thunk it?

    Love the booties :)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    True, but you can't ride a hamster.

    Love the booties!

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Anne P said…

    I've been following Victor's rehab - sounds like he's doing great! We had an OTT Tb stallion as a kid and I still wonder that my gramps would toss me up on him to go for a ride when "less experienced" riders came to visit. You'd think a 90-pound rider in a small saddle would trigger the urge for speed, but he was always a true gentleman with me! Ask me if I'd do that now!!

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Heide said…

    Love the booties! I should make some to use up some leftover sock yarn.

    Glad to hear that Victor is faring well.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger aija said…

    My ovaries were already aching before I saw your booties!! (I'm totally stealing that phrase.) :)

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    need victor photo stat! :]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home