The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Three Hours Of "24"

Equals 12 inches of scarf.

This is My So Called Scarf from Sheep In The City. I'm sure the talented Sheep has another name, I just don't know what it is.

As you might have noticed, I've been on a bit of a lace kick lately. However, I can only knit lace (successfully) in complete silence. Which is OK most of the time but not when I want to see Jack Bauer save the world. "Damn it, I'm running out of time!"

I've been wanting to make this particular pattern for ages. And since it's dead easy with the stitch pattern over just 2 rows, it's perfect T.V. knitting. What could I do? I had to cast on for a new scarf. This is Malabrigo in the colorway "Vetiver." I don't know what Vetiver means. I thought it was Spanish so I typed it into Babel Fish and Babel Fish returned "to vetiver." So I'm not really knitting, I'm "vetivering." This makes perfect sense in my world, maybe not in yours.

I am totally and completely in love with this yarn, regardless of what vetiver means. It's a worsted weight but I'm knitting it on US 11's. It's knitting up so soft and the stitch pattern makes the fabric dense without being bulky. And the pattern itself, while easy, still requires a bit of concentration so it's not boring. Well at least to my little hamster brain. I highly recommend both pattern and yarn for all your Christmas gift making.

As further proof that my little apartment was rockin' last night ...

Andy, wake up, it's Saturday night!

Dude, wake up! I scored a bag of 'nip!


"Whoa DeeDee, that's some serious sh!& ..."

8 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Scarf is so pretty!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Desdemona got into a closed overhead cabinet the other day to steal the nip. She is like 800 years old!!! How did she do this? I don't sleep as well as I used to...

    That is a super pretty scarf ya gots goin' on there. Nice work!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the scarf. I have been wanting to make that as well. I have some manos set aside just for this scarf. I have been watching 24 episodes also. I can't remember what season I am on, I rent them all through netflix.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Vetiver is a grass that smells good. I knew that much from an R.E.M. song, but you can find out more from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetiver

    I love Wikipedia.

    The scarf is looking lovely. I started it in Manos a while back, but put it aside because I got bored. Still, you're right — excellent for TV watching or chatting with friends. I should pull it out again.

    I seem to be following in your footsteps. At your inspiration, I pulled out my Streamin' Leaves again and figured out what I'd been confused by (I thought I was on a different row than I really was). So it's about 55% done now and truckin'. Thanks :-)

    Your cats crack me up.

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your scarf is very pretty, love the colors too and your kitties are adorable. Mitz sends headbonks.

    Huggs, Geraldine

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger aija said…

    Vetiver reminds me of mortimer, and hopefully I'll not be caught mortimering. Vetivering sounds better, at least more foreign :) This makes sense in my world :)

    (Scarf looks great!)

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I hear tell of cats soaking their 'nip in their water dishes and then drinking the water. Hallucinating ensues. Beware of this hideous sign of addiction.

    (Damn, I envy cats their catnip.)

    Oh, and Vetiver is a grass that has a nice greenish woodsy smell. It's used in perfume making, etc. I've seen soaps scented with it before.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said…

    Just came by to say "Hi!". Love the scarf, and don't we all need something semi-mindless to do with our hands sometimes? Just think how impressed a new knitter is that we can watch TV and knit anything other that garter st.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home