The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Two Ugly Socks, Two Cute Goats



One can get a lot of knitting done when one has a bashed ankle. The somewhat unattractive Zig Zag socks are finished. And you know what? They're even umm ... less attractive in person. I ran out of yarn at the start of the toe decrease on the second sock. Most knitters would simply frog the toe on the first sock and knit the two toes in the same yarn. BUT NOT ME! No, my motto is onwards, always onwards.

So I pulled out two skeins of yarn that I *thought* would closely resemble the original yarn, combined them, and knitted the toe. Oddly enough, as I was knitting I thought to myself, "Hey this IS remarkably close." HA. Wrong. These socks will never be worn with open toed shoes.

Poor little Leland. Despite an original diagnosis of lungworm and a good dose of wormer, he's still been coughing. I may not be neurotic about my socks, but I am about my pets. Yesterday they had a vet clinic at the barn so I coaxed the vet to come and take a look at him. This was a different vet and he made it somewhat obvious that a goat examination was a bit like slumming for a highly qualified horse doctor. Whatever. He listened to Leland's lungs, pronounced them clear and then took his temperature. Leland was a trooper and stood quietly the entire time.

But my buddy has a temperature so now he's on antibiotics. Melissa, if you're reading this it's "Oxytet." Anyway, they have to be administered by injection. The vet asked if I was OK giving Leland a shot every day for seven days and I was all cavalier and waved my hands in the air and said, "Oh no problem!"

"Inject this directly into his hamstring muscle," said the vet. "You can start today."

Hamstring? Do I know where a hamstring is on a goat? I sort of felt around on my leg to remind myself where a hamstring is on a human and decided to umm ... go for it. Managing to distract Leland with a small bowl of grain, I went around to his back end and grabbed a leg. There wasn't much medicine in the syringe so it only took a moment to give him the shot.

And then Leland screamed.

And then he collapsed to the ground.

OHMYGOD OHMYGOD, I KILLED MY GOAT!!!

I flop on the ground beside him and start feeling for a pulse. I've got his little hoof in my hand and I'm running my finger up and down his leg. No pulse! Then I put my hand on his tummy to see if he's breathing. Christ, I don't know where a goat's lungs are! They could be ANYWHERE! Finally he looks up at me with the saddest expression you could possibly imagine and gives a plaintive little "baaaaa."

Wasn't it nice of the vet to forewarn me that these antibiotics HURT when they're adminstered? Stupid jerk. And wasn't it nice of him to forget to tell me they need to be refrigerated? So we'll be throwing out the rest of the medicine because it was Africa hot here today and they'll be ruined now. My poor little monkey.

In an attempt to get Leland to forgive me, I might have given him a bit of extra hay last night.


And I just *know* you want a bumper sticker like this ...

5 Comments:

  • At 3:52 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    Give Leland a big hug,
    he was a very brave boy
    and
    his mother was also very brave.
    Perhaps the kitty nurses could go out to the barn
    and supervise injections!

    The socks will be fine around the house,
    encased in slippers.
    Lindy

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG That is the most PERFECT bumper sticker for you!
    So, are you gonna show US the other toe? We're not gonna telll anyone. Really. Let's see...
    Poor Leland, maybe he needs to move into the house? The barn might be to drafty. Just tell the landlord it's an exotic breed of dog.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Oh, poor Leland! And that must have scared the heck out of you.

    BTW, I happen to think the socks look nice. But then again, I also like brown and blue together, and I know what you think of that! :-)

    Renee

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Aw, poor little furry guy. Hope he's better soon.

    But, no, I don't want a bumper sticker - thanks anyway.

    PS - Antibiotic injections hurt no matter who gives them and to whom they are given.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    OMG!! Poor Leland. Give him a hug from Auntie Sheepie. I got a shot today too...I feel his pain.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home