The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Images Of Richmond

Sorry, no fiber arts content today. I started the pink scarf in Paton's Classic Wool and ended up hating both the pattern AND the yarn. Way to go, April. So instead, more pictures of the little island I live on.

If I ever get my fat butt off the couch and walk half a mile down the street, this is where I end up. This is the Fraser River. Lulu Island is actually below sea level so to ensure that we don't have swimming pools in our basements there is a large dyke which runs around the entire island. This is a really popular place for those strange people who like the outdoors. Walkers, joggers, dog owners, bikers, they're all there. It's also quite well known by teenagers who like to drive up here at night and make out. I, of course, have no personal experience with anything of that nature, I've just heard rumours. Yesterday morning was kind of overcast, it's not always this grey in Canada. And look! No igloos!

Same place but with a boat! A tugboat to be precise. Pulling a barge! Try to contain your excitement.

Something you might not know about Vancouver - 25% of the population is of Asian descent. When Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese rule a few years ago there was a huge influx of Asians to Canada. Basically all you needed to enter the country was $250,000 which you would promise to use to start a business. This immigration has changed the face of Vancouver dramatically, particularly in Richmond. Many banks now proudly proclaim "We speak English!" A lot of the street signs are in both English and Chinese. And if you want good Chinese food, well Vancouver is the place to go. Or Little Kitty stuff.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture and drive at the same time? Fortunately, with a California license plate on my car people expect me to do stupid things like stop in the middle of moving traffic to take a picture of a median. So sue me, I like pink and purple. I also like a city that shows its civic pride by beautifying things they don't have to.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Lovely flowies!

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Great Pix! Where I live all the signs let folks know that French is spoken there. But I can only say, "Nomme de plumme." This limits me considerably in conversing with our guests in the summer season.

    Gosh, I really want Chinese food now!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OK, so you have the scenery covers, as well as fish and chips and Chinese food...um....what else? Got beer? I thought Vancouver was full of Canadians? That's interesting social studies info.

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    Gorgeous scenery shots!
    Lindy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home