The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Bus Terminology

Today I learned a new phrase which is used by employees in the transit field. I shall spare you the phrase but I will tell you that it's used when someone pukes all over your bus. And I just KNOW you want to know how I came to learn this new phrase. OK, I'll tell you.

Traveling home today on the correct # 62 bus there was a middle aged lady sitting two rows in front of me. To be quite honest with you, I didn't notice when she got on the bus or where she'd planted herself as I was quite engrossed in my "bus book." Until I heard the sound of someone being violently ill within my immediate area. I looked up to see this woman slumped over in her seat as she lost her lunch on the floor beneath her. And everyone on the bus looking at her, including the bus driver.

Everyone was *encouraging* her to get off the bus since we were right in front of Valley Medical Center but then she began wailing that she was about to pass out. This was followed by another extensive round of illness, so to speak. The driver was left with no choice but to summon one of these.

All of the healthy people, myself included, were then told to get off the bus. What could we do? So we all stood around on the sidewalk discussing possible reasons this lady was horribly sick. Drug overdose? Bird flu? Bad chili? Who knew? Then the fire department showed up. Then the amublance showed up. Then the sherriff showed up. I asked "Darrell" (our bus driver) if he was going to have to clean the bus but he assured me that the Transit Authority had a special crew for that type of job. After about 10 minutes the ambulance crew had loaded "Michelle" (aren't I good at getting names? I should be a reporter) into their vehicle and off they went. Twenty minutes later a clean # 62 bus showed up and I finally made it home. This bus riding business is certainly more exciting than driving.

Iris, my dear co-worker, brought this leaflet to work today. It was published in 1996 in case you're wondering why you haven't seen it at Michael's. And oh my goodness, it has some beautiful afghans in it. If you like the ocean and the beach you'll love these 'ghans as they all revolve around that theme. Isn't the one on the cover gorgeous? I thought at first it was motifs but it's actually one big piece. This leaflet is still available on the Leisure Arts website. I think any of these would make a fantastic summer Crochet-A-Long over at the 'Ville ... Don't you think ... Sue?

Pansies. Just because they're pretty and I'm still waiting for Spring to arrive in California.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger none said…

    I rode the bus for many years in Seattle and I always had some bizarre story to tell. I never saw anyone puke, but I saw a guy take a header right into the steps below my seat.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh dear! Have I got an airplane story for you! April, do you need a ride to Crochet Meetup group tonight? Are you planning on going? Do you have my email address? Send me a message at my blog at least. How long until your car is ready? Oh what an adventure!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Oh, I love the pansies - and the book and the yarn too!

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    April, you certainly are having the life these days! I always take the bus to work (except this morning, when miracle of miracles, I found a parking spot), and I get so much reading done (I never travel without a bus book). No one sick, though.

    I want that leaflet! It's gorgeous.

    I was sorry to hear about your accident, and hopefully you'll have your car back soon.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger April said…

    Sue,

    I have no idea how long until my car is ready but it doesn't matter since I mailed my driver's license to trek with her "Made In Canada" prize. Thanks for the offer of a ride but I think I'm staying in tonight. Have fun!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger April said…

    trek,

    i like pansies but i think i like daffodils even better. or maybe tulips. or maybe ...

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger April said…

    renee,

    you MUST BUY this leaflet, heck it's only $7.00. it has beautiful patterns in it.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger April said…

    wendy,

    i'm thinking of riding the bus permanently and writing a book about it. :)

    except for the fact that i want to strangle everyone that talks on their cell phone. that could be a problem.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home