The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Mucho Happiness

The phone rang tonight at 10:15. My first thought of course was, "Oh boy, an obscene phone call!" My second thought was, "Do debt collectors really work this late?" But it wasn't a debt collector. It was my Elder calling me from South Dakota!!!

To say that I was excited is the UNDERSTATEMENT of the century. Excited thrilled tickled pink overjoyed ecstatic. Yeah, that might do. How can I explain this so you guys will understand. I guess basically, what it boils down to, is having a person's trust. From what I understand, trust and friendship is not something given easily by the Lakota. Or any Native American. It really IS something that has to be earned. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it given the history between white people and Native Americans. So for Adolph Bull Bear from Kyle, SD (that's how he identified himself, so I wouldn't confuse him with all the other Bull Bears I know) to call me was a big deal. Or he was bored and just wanted someone to talk to.

I, of course, instantly went into interrogator mode which I do when I'm nervous. I also talk WAY too fast. There was a lot of "What? What? Slow down, April Fool." Anyway, Adolph has lived a very full life. He was in the Army in the 50's, went on to be a police officer for 8 years and then went into construction. I was very glad to hear that he lives in a nice house with both running water and electricity. Unfortunately, that is a rarity on the reservation. He lives with his son and two grandchildren so he has someone to look after him if he gets sick.

Adolph is a full blood Lakota which is quite rare and he also speaks Lakota which I would love to learn. I asked him what else he needed me to send him and he was quite reluctant to say anything. Finally, he admitted he needed a winter jacket. And some laundry detergent. I can do that. So that's my big news of the day. My big, wonderful, super fantastic news of the day.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    No wonder you are excited, that is really an honour!!

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Who knew our Californian Canadian was also a South Dakotan Lakotan??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home