The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

To Crock Or Not?

Day four of Blogtober and already I am reduced to posting pictures of food. This was tonight's dinner and probably Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's as well. Good ol' beef stew, one of my very favorite things in the entire world. And dead easy. Stew beef, an onion, baby carrots, a few peas and some potatoes. Oh, and a little of that Bouquet sauce for color. Plus water. That's it.

I'm sure it sounds like the blandest thing in the world but for some reason it comes out quite flavorful. Especially when you cook it for four hours. Which brings me to the question of the day.

Is it truly possible to cook a nice meal in a crock pot? My answer, based on past experience, is NO. I have thrown away at least three crock pots after being faced with the most disgusting meals ever created. And yet, on Ravelry, there is a group devoted to crock pots who post these marvelous sounding meals. From their crock pot. I have been reading the forum for the last week trying to discover what the secret is. Some super secret ingredient or magical incantation to be murmured repeatedly as the meal is cooking. Please don't tell me to brown the meat first, I've tried that. Or not to have too much liquid. I did that. And still, ick. What is the TRICK?

Finally, don't forget to enter your guess as to how many squares I managed to produce in the last week. Contest closes tomorrow night at 6pm PST!

6 Comments:

  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I use a crock pot to simmer tomato sauce and to make beef stew and pot roasts. Usually, I only cook the meat part of the stew in it and then add the potatoes and carrots at the end.

    Four days down. Only 27 more to go :o)

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I used to cook in a crock pot. Then I discovered that it was a super-cool vessel for dyeing fiber and now I can't use my crocks for food.

    It was for the best really...

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jan said…

    Add herbs and seasonings towards the end so they don't lose their flavour with long cooking. Crockpots make wonderful slow cooked curries. Stocks and soup, especially pea and ham are good too. We don't really use ours much for regular meals but it's great for those things. My brother made a great loaf with his. Bread dough rolled out flattish, on top goes a savoury mince mix. Fold dough up and over meat mix and seal. Put in greased crockpot on low for about 3 hours.

    BTW I found your blog from a comment on Bells' blog.

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    A cook here just published a book of slow cooker recipes and my friends and I have all made a few things already and they are most tasty. Not sure what the trick is though!!!
    Nothing nice than a simple stew. Yum!!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beef Stew = YUMMY!
    Crock Pot Meal = YUCKY!

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Samson Blog said…

    Hello niice blog

     

Post a Comment

<< Home