The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Manly

This weekend was the start of my next round of 100 squares for PRR. I had decided that I was going to go with a "manly" theme. With manly colors. Like rust and green and brown. However, there are a few words not commonly associated with crochet - manly, sturdy, compact, rugged, unlacey (that might not be a real word), tough. Which made finding an appropriate square somewhat difficult.

I scoured the Internet. I bought "99 Squares to Crochet." I looked in vain for my "200 Blocks To Crochet" (if anyone knows where that has gone let me know.) I have crocheted. A lot. In fact, other than a 3 hour stint at work yesterday and a bit of a "Deadliest Catch" fest, that's all I've done. As we can clearly see from the evidence presented above.

To make matters worse, I am not the world's greatest crocheter. My gauge is always off. I find the instructions a bit "confusing" at times. Also, if I might make a suggestion to the nice people at Leisure Arts, it would be very helpful to have a finished size for one or two of the "99 Squares To Crochet." I mean, I can usually ballpark the finished size based on the number of rounds but still. If it's not too much trouble.

So after all the hunting and crocheting and hunting and crocheting, I ended up with this. Which is my version of square #67 from "99 Squares To Crochet". We'll call it square #67A. And if I can convince myself that I've reworked it enough that it's no longer square #67 I'll post the instructions. But I need to think about that a bit more. Cuz it's not nice to steal.

And finally, I've added an addendum to the APRIL HAS LOST HER MIND contest relating to raffle tickets awarded to squares. As follows:

6" crocheted squares = 1 raffle ticket
6" knitted squares = 2 raffle tickets
12" crocheted squares = 4 raffle tickets
12" knitted squares = 8 raffle tickets (wow, that's a lot).

Also, this contest is open to all residents of the planet Earth. No entries from Mars please, shipping chocolate to Mars would be astronomical. Ha! Get it? "Astronomical". OK, back to the crocheting.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Knitty Nina said…

    Your adjustment to the number of tickets per square makes perfect sense. I've been knitting so far, but I'm off to collect some different yarn and start crochet squares. This is addicting...after all, I'm a total chocoholic! LOL

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    You're always good value!

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Agatha's Gran said…

    I have been told it takes 6 months or more of travel to get to Mars. By then, the chocolate would be stale. I know this because a customer asked the See's lady about the shelf life of the candy one day whilst I was there satisfying my sweet tooth. She said '3 weeks!' (My See's purchases rarely last 10 minutes.) The salesgirl and I did a bit of giggling after the questioning customer departed!

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Astronomical! Hah!!! That's a good 'un!

    I can't crochet in a square or round at all so I bow to your superior skills. I can just go back and forth. Gauge means nothing if you can't figure out how to connect the whole thing together...

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I might be inspired!!! That chocolate looked really good *grin and crochet is definitely fast. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

    mia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home